Dumb Question About O Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilkie:
Is there more than one size for std. J/K valves ? I got curious and had a look in my "save-a-dive" kit, now my kit has expanded steadily since it's humble beginnings, and now contains a plethora of 0-rings, the smallist to fit a SPG spindle, the largest to fit a 3/4" K valve/tank.

Now for the question, amoung this flock I see at least 3 different sizes that I would - on site - guess to be tank valve/yoke size.....

I got some: 1/2 x 11/16 = (AS568A-)112, 17/32 x 11/16 = (#)015, 1/2 x 5/8 = (#) 014 So I went to the basement to have a look, and all of my tanks (4) take the 112, but it seems I recall using the 015, on rental tanks,and i'm pretty sure that Ive seen the 014 on a tank valve. (I have a pretty good eye for measurements of less than an inch, iow-I know what .0020" "looks" like)

So does anybody know, off the top, what # 0-ring, or 0-rings we should pack around?

014 is the standard yoke valve face size. 112 is for DIN and for older yoke valve faces. If you have some older tanks that would explain why they fit. Don't know about the 015 fitting the valves. It might be close enough to fit.

Daveo957:
Dive shop here in our town charges .50 cent for an oring 2 dollars sounds a little high

Yup. they have them in the two pack baggie for $3.95 plus tax.

What a deal!:mooner:

In the diving industry, there are lots of "hands" that pass that o-ring along between the original manufacturer and the dive shop. And every one of those hands has a mark-up. In the US, the largest addition to the cost of the little piece of rubber is insurance. If a vital seal were to fail inside a regulator, the shop that replaced the seal and distributor of the parts would be sitting side by side in the court room. So, the biggest difference between that 5¢ o-ring and the $1 one is just industry paperwork.

rcontrera:
In the diving industry, there are lots of "hands" that pass that o-ring along between the original manufacturer and the dive shop. And every one of those hands has a mark-up. In the US, the largest addition to the cost of the little piece of rubber is insurance. If a vital seal were to fail inside a regulator, the shop that replaced the seal and distributor of the parts would be sitting side by side in the court room. So, the biggest difference between that 5¢ o-ring and the $1 one is just industry paperwork.

If that is the case why is it the distributor who is exposed to the most risk because he has his product in many places sells cheap. And where are all these big law suits in the dive industry that insurance is supposedly protecting against. From the way they hide behind the law suit defence you would think every LDS must be getting sued every other week.

o- rings, we don't need no stinkin' o-rings

just let-er rip

neil:
014 is the standard yoke valve face size. 112 is for DIN and for older yoke valve faces. If you have some older tanks that would explain why they fit. Don't know about the 015 fitting the valves. It might be close enough to fit.

Perzactly the info that i requested, thanks- I owe you one & bless your heart

neil:

Perzactly the info that i requested, thanks- I owe you one.

Doc Ed:
So, am I correct in assuming that as long as they have the same durometer rating and are of similar size and shape, then an o-ring by any other manufacturer (other than scuba) will work just as well? Do equipment manufacturers make their own o-rings to spec or do they just order from the same folks who provided rings to hardware stores?

In practical terms for SCUBA application, same material, same durometer, same size, equals same o-ring.

There are suitable alternate materials, and perhaps to a lesser degree durometers that a knowledgeable person can use if willing to experiment.

I would avoid using a different size. Of these three variables, a slight variation of size is the main determinant cause of 0-ring failure. According to a statement in an old thread by an expert on this subject.

Comments welcomed.

I went to the Parker website. It has got a lot of info, but I didn't find the answer to something I was looking for.

My Halcyon inflator calls out- 70 durometer "buna" . There were 18 different materials on the website but not one was call "buna". So which material is equal to buna?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom