Dumb Question About O Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking:
Yes o-rings at a dive store are more expensive than a bulk purchase at an o-ring supplier. Same is true when you want one screw at a hardware store. Keeping inventory, answering questions, having a RETAIL storefront, liability insurance-these things add up. A dive store does some things at below cost and need to make it up elsewhere. It is a blend of margins, some low and some high that allows a full service dive store to exist. Take away the extra $1.50 here and it will have to go somewhere else. My two cents worth.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

I have to agree with your point. Two bucks is not a big deal in this sport, but some times it is just the thought of the huge ration in an item like this.

I actually praise one of my LDS for selling little bags with 5 O-rings for close to $3. To me it is just the idea of selling one O-ring at a time when IMO you should always have several.

Dive Rite Express sells them 5 for $3, or 60 cents each. That is a bit cheaper. If you combine them with an order of at least $35, shipping is free. To make it economical, you'd really need to combine your o-ring order with something else to get the free shipping. Each time I have an order of over $35 from them, I check and see if I need any o-rings and then I just add them to the order.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml

That's all great feedback. What got me scratching my head on this was that after I VIP'd my tank and hydro/VIP'd my 19cf pony I went diving and noticed upon charging my main that it was leaking. I looked at the O ring and it was obviously not new. I changed it (bought 2 from them a while back for my save-a-dive kit at $3.95) but when I confronted my LDS with the fact they hadn't replaced the O rings I was told, no they don't do that because the O rings are so expensive.

I was stunned and suggested that they adjust the price of the VIP and the Hydro to include that O ring. Me, I'd throw it in as part of the service especially to a customer that has spent over $2000. with them in the last year.

300bar diver:
But yes there is a difference between scuba O-rings and those
from the hardware store.
Scuba O-rings are much stronger.Try the soft hardware ones and
you will see they won't last very long.Most will go with a bang on
the first use
There is no difference between what LDS and engineering shops sell. You just have to buy the right durometer for the job.

Sasquatch:
That's all great feedback. What got me scratching my head on this was that after I VIP'd my tank and hydro/VIP'd my 19cf pony I went diving and noticed upon charging my main that it was leaking. I looked at the O ring and it was obviously not new. I changed it (bought 2 from them a while back for my save-a-dive kit at $3.95) but when I confronted my LDS with the fact they hadn't replaced the O rings I was told, no they don't do that because the O rings are so expensive.

I was stunned and suggested that they adjust the price of the VIP and the Hydro to include that O ring. Me, I'd throw it in as part of the service especially to a customer that has spent over $2000. with them in the last year.
Mate thanks for sharing a good laugh with us. Oh my side hurts now.... They are so FOS it's not funny.

The other day i was diving air and an o ring blew out. My bad for not having a spare. I found 10 Buna-N for a dollar at home depot.

Just to veer slightly off topic... assuming the same durometer rating, is it okay to use the hardware store o-rings for other applications like regulator o-rings? Anyone try this one yet?

Doc Ed:
Just to veer slightly off topic... assuming the same durometer rating, is it okay to use the hardware store o-rings for other applications like regulator o-rings? Anyone try this one yet?

Yes, no problems on air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom