Dumb question about Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, there about twice that many hotels, including:

Osprey Beach
Turks Head Inn
Salt Raker
Arawak Inn
Guanahani
Arches
Island House

Plus guesthouses like Manta House.

As for 4 dive ops, what is the 4th op that has joined Sea Eye, Blue Waters & Oasis? Wasn't anything else when I was there not too long ago.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

PS: Cruise ships scheduled to start visiting in December.

I didn't count the guest houses/B&B's, but they are good places to stay too.

I don't remember the name of the 4th dive operator. They were in Cockburn Town on the main road at the ocean side. I think they were next to a bar. I quickly passed them as the outfit didn't look very professional at all.

I did my diving with Oasis and SeaEye and both were very good.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Cruise ships scheduled to start visiting in December.

Say it ain't so Doc. How many and how big? I'll be there in January and the thought of throngs of tourists all covered in oil gives me the willies.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

Say it ain't so Doc. How many and how big? I'll be there in January and the thought of throngs of tourists all covered in oil gives me the willies.

As a long time and regular visitor to Cozumel, I can only say, "Welcome to our world."

You may get lucky as there is some talk of a later, like March '04, opening date, but it's going to happen. Holland America will be the first, with Celebrity & Royal Norwegian to follow.

Not sure what they plan to do with the passengers as GT isn't exactly a mecca of tourist shops & activities (other than diving). However, I suspect that in short they'll ruin the Gibbs Cay stingray feed & picnic.

It is so painful to think of.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Ahhhh, you'd be surprised at how much "culture" will suddenly spring up when there's a buck to be made!

You bring the tourists and I'll show you the "culture".

Sad, but true.

DocVikingo once bubbled...
You may get lucky as there is some talk of a later, like March '04, opening date, but it's going to happen. Holland America will be the first, with Celebrity & Royal Norwegian to follow.

Not sure what they plan to do with the passengers as GT isn't exactly a mecca of tourist shops & activities (other than diving). However, I suspect that in short they'll ruin the Gibbs Cay stingray feed & picnic.

It is so painful to think of.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Well if Grand Cayman is any reference I don't know if they will "ruin" the Gibbs Cay stingray experience. The stingrays will probably prosper from the hand-feeding and become almost domesticated. If they keep it to an off-shore anchor/tender operation I would hope that the impact would be minimal. I do hope that if they decide to allow for further cruise ship development they consider the deep water port facility proposed for East Caicos.

Somehow the tres relaxed atmosphere of the desolate Gibbs Cay stingray feed & picnic would be degraded for me by the presence of a Breitling watch outlet & Carlos n' Chalies style beach bar on the cay, not mention possibilities like jet skies & parasailing, etc. Also, the resident conch population would soon be depleted & the conch salad chow-down as it is now consitituted would soon pass. They'd have to be brought over or farmed in some fashion.

We'll see.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom