Dumb me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just added a 1T hard drive to my puter and want to move all my video and music to the new one. I've always said I'm dumb. How do I accomplish this arduous act?

Internal/external? Firewire or USB? Is is formatted for your OS? What type?

If anything when you hook it up your computer should recognize it as another drive. Should be as simple as dragging the folder into the new hard drive.

X

Drag and drop. But before you do is the 1T a raid? If so, set it so you have it as back up. Also, is it a video hard drive. This past summer I had 3 hard drives crash and after serious discussions with the IT people at LaCie, we finally discovered that there are certain hard drives designed to cater to video. If not, they will crash.

I would not want that to happen to anyone else!

Hope this helps. The hard drives we have are LaCie Biggest, S2S and the card is a PCI-X card.

So before you drag and drop you might want to make sure you have the right hard drive for supporting video.

Cheers,

Annie

I am going to assume that you plugged it into your computer, gave it power, and no new drive popped up in your my computer. I am also going to assume you are running windows xp.

(classic view)
go to start->control panel -> Administrator tools -> double click on computer management
(catagory view)
start -> control panel -> performance and maintenance -> Administrator tools -> double click on computer management.

Under storage go to disk management. If your hard disk is hooked up correctly you will see in this view in the lower pain something that says like disk 1 and size information but no drive associated with it. right click on that and you will probably have to hit partition or format. Follow the instructions from there :)

Never knew there are hard drives designed for video. I wonder what is special about them ? RPM speeds ?

Live and learn, Ron. Don't we all. Me thinks there is too much to this computer stuff. What did we do before there was such a thing as a video hard drive? Just funnin.

It's a Western Digital Sata model WDC-WD10EACS- 00d6bO if that means anything. 7200rpm. Internal HD. I figure internal will me faster from everything I've heard. That's as much as I know. Plugged it in and puter says "You got new hardware" so aparently it being recognized.

OK so now I here drag and drop. The guy at the shop made some mention of this. Just what do I do? Heeey, I said I was dumb, but thanks to you guys I'm learning.

Wasn't so long ago I didn't even know how "capture". Took me 4 days to figure that out.

OK, it's a WD 10EACS and I fund a review about it on Overclock Intelligence Agency. Does have some drawbacks. 16Mb/cache. Transfer rate of 3Gb/s

Supposedly to run very cool so longevity and reliabilty to be good.

Glad you sorted out the file transfer. I tend to use external Lacie 7200 rpm firewire drives & 800 vs. 400 connection. The 800 makes a big difference. The LaCie can also be twitchy. I also know they aren't the best at altitude.

All this computer stuff was far more difficult in the old days (IMO). When the first AVID/ Media 100 / Canopus / etc. there was a lot more fussin' and things not working. Loading footage these days is so much easier than hooking up component cables into a transfer box the size of large laptop and raid hard drives holding only 15 gigs and costing 5,000.00 or more. These days almost anyone can edit non-linear video. That's an expectation and a good one.

x

Easiest is to open two of you file explorer windows (right click on the start button, and choose explore). Then in one window find the files you want to transfer, and drag and drop to the location you want in the second window.

G-Technology is also a very highly rated hard drive designed for the needs of Video. I used to use Lacie but myself, and a few other friends had some issues. I switched to G-Tech 2 years ago and love them. They have a variety of drives to fit everyone's needs and budget. G-tech is the official hard drive company for the Red One cameras...they are fast, and reliable! They also make the G-Safe which is a raided drive designed specifically for the still photographer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom