Dumaguete: Pura Vida vs. Atlantis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabyne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

I'm deciding between these two resorts - diving with Sea Explorers at Pura Vida or staying at Atlantis and diving with their base.

I'm favouring Pura Vida, my buddy Atlantis...

What's the cost of food there - I guess, quite low? The package at Pura Vida is breakfast only whereas Atlantis offers full pension... Are there restaurants around or are the hotels very isolated? I didn't find a lot of information about that....

Furthermore, we are likely to combine our stay at Dumaguete with some days at Malapascua, looking for the threshers. Since there's a Sea Explorer base, too, it would be easier to combine these two (organisation of tranfers, maybe lower cost of package with one operator...?), I guess...??

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

I stayed at 3 sea explorers hotels. dumaguete, alona beach and cabilao. I would and actually might be going back. I really liked them. pura vida being my favorite.

I got back last week from Dumaguete - read the trip report I just posted. I stayed at El Dorado and did not regret it for a minute. El Dorado is in between Atlantis and Pura Vida. The grounds at the other two resorts are a little nicer than El Dorado but not enough for me to care - I was there for the underwater scenery. My room was $29/night and just fine - firm comfortable bed, hot shower, cable TV, A/C, small patio. I ate one meal at Atlantis - 3 course Prix Fixe for about $20 - maybe a little more upscale food than at El Dorado, and. although I am rather a foodie, I was happy with the diverse menu at ED - pizza, pasta, some Thai and Asian dishes, even some odd attempts at Mexican, and German stuff I didn't try, and I doubt I paid more than $10 for any meal. Many guests Swiss or German but I still talked with them - I was there solo - and all briefings in english. Did 18 dives in 6 days, all with FREE NITROX. Dives averaged over 60 minutes. Just get to the dive board at around 5PM to sign up for the dives you want or you might miss out on a night dive as I did. Atlantis was pretty quiet - appeared as though most rooms vacant - I think it costs quite a bit more. Pura Vida looked busier, at least their dive board was pretty full when I wandered over and looked at it, but I didn't check their menu for prices. (Mike of Adventure Dive Shop told me El Dorado had better food then Pura Vida, and he used to work at PV) As I said on my other post, I probably spent not much over $1000, including airfare from Manila to Dumaguete and two overnight hotels in Manila. Fly Air Philippines if you can - show your international boarding pass and c card and get your otherwise overweight dive bags on for free. Both Cebu Air and AirPhil have 20kg. limit TOTAL, and I understand Cebu WILL charge you for any overage.
Email if I can answer any questions.
You will have TOO MUCH FUN - at least I did, and to quote Commander Cody (actually Billy C. Farlow) " there's a whole lot of things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun".
Enjoy - I want to go back.
John

I was at Atlantis Dumaguete twice this month and it's great. The food is outstanding!

Atlantis is a bit more expensive but the food way better than PV.El Dorado is a great alternative. all three are very professional Operations. El Dorado has good food and free transfer to town in the evening. while Atl charges you 20+ $ for a 10 Peso ride. (back at 3 in the morning 150 Peso)

PV offered discount before is you continue to dive with them in Malapasqua, I don't know if they still do it. If it fits in their schedule they may have an Island-hopping trip anyway, that you might be able to dive Pescador or Balicasac island too, on the way to Malapasqua. Just drop me a line for further questions about the Dumaguete-area...

cheers

Rhoody

I stayed in Pura Vida a few months ago. The food there is good and not expensive at all.

I also dived with Sea Explorers in Alona Beach and Dumaguette. They are excellent dive shop, clean, professional and friendly.

Thank you everybody, we decided to stay with Sea Explorers and combine Dumaguete, Pura Vida Resort and Malapascua, Hippocampus. They have a reasonably priced combo offer.

Since we only booked breakfast, we will try out every restaurant in the area... :wink:

Gaby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom