Dumaguete or Puerto Galera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K_girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi from Sacramento, CA. My boyfriend and I want to go on a group trip in early March to either Atlantis/Puerto Galera or Atlantis/Dumaguete. I've been to Dumaguete before and loved it and have been dreaming of coming back to PI ever since. It will be his first trip to PI. I'd like to do Puerto Galera because I've never done it, but want the best trip possible for us. If you could choose only one of these two destinations, which would it be and why?

Also, what kind of water temps, weather and ocean conditions can we expect in March? My last trip was in November '05 and it was incredible.

Thanks.

Hey! Sounds like your going on one of the dolphin trips! (im the main instructor at dolphin stockton btw). Either decision will be a good one. I spent 2 months at atlantis PG and loved it. The marine life and diving is a little different between the two atleast from what ive heard, although ive never dove dumaguete. Since you've already been there then you know how it is. I can tell you that PG is a blast. The staff will keep you entertained and everyone knows what they are doing. The setting however is totally different, PG is like a beach full of resorts (which means more people a little more noise), but thats really not an issue. Marine life is excellent, and the dives are awesome. In PG they're not limited to the reserve boundaries like dumg., so you'll have the convenience of diving off the boat and the boat picking you back up. Alot of the dives can be drift dives so you can relax while watching the scenery. Theres plenty of macro life there, big fish, and some wrecks as well. Regardless of the decision between the two resorts, you'll have fun. If you can afford it, do both. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me, Mike Johnson at the sac store, or email matt reed at atlantis for more info.

Cheers!
Dan Harvey

I have done Dumaguete and Puerto Galera Atlantis. The diving is great at both. Apo Island near Dumaguete is world class. The Washing Machine dive at PG is quite the experience. Both places have fantastic diving, the difference in my opinion boils down to resort and local. Dumaguete is more remote, small and laid back. Where on the other hand Atlantis PG is a much bigger resort, more divers and plenty of night life and clubs. Also PG is a direct access out of Manila via shuttle bus and boat. Either way, both have great people and world class diving.

Yes, indeed - looking at the Dolphin trip. We're both really into the underwater photography. My boyfriend is into the macro photography. We like to toodle along and take our time. It would be nice to not have to keep up with a group, and macro photography in a strong drift dive current presents extra challenges.

Hi. I also am one of Dolphins nutty Instructors and I went to PG last year in march and the conditions where great!

I also am very much into Photography as Mike Johnson (Dolphin Owner) has been my photo instructor right up to me becoming a photography instructor myself.

You cant go wrong on the Philippines trip and if I had to choose one I would go back to PG in a heart beat!!

...We're both really into the underwater photography. My boyfriend is into the macro photography. We like to toodle along and take our time. It would be nice to not have to keep up with a group, and macro photography in a strong drift dive current presents extra challenges.

Not all dives in PG are ripping currents. In fact you'll love some of the shallow dives just in front of the resort (Sabang Wreck) where you could spend hours in 5-10m finding all sorts of interesting critters for your cameras (various frogfish, pipefish, cuttlefish, sea moth (pegasus), etc... Pygmy seahorses can be found on the Dry Dock site as well as at some other locations. BTW, Washing Machine is over on Verde Island (day trip from PG) but most shops can arrange this trip. The waters around Verde are quite impressive.

I guess it will come down to what type of resort ambiance you two are looking for. Dumaguete is very quiet with nice black sand beaches, but you will be stuck pretty much in your resorts. You could hop back to Dumaguete city for a quick trip.

PG, as the others have mentioned has a more resort-town feel to it. Some may say a bit seedy, but it's not in your face like some beach resorts in Thailand... A lot of good restaurant and bar options outside of the resorts. The beaches in PG (Sabang, Lalaguna) aren't much but you can arrange for a quick trip/ picnic to one of the neighboring beaches.

I agree that the diving is great in both places, but I would tip the scale toward Dumaguete if I had to choose one, primarily because of Apo Island and because of the sanctuaries that are more protected than some of the dive sites in PG. From the standpoint of convenience, PG is a lot closer to Manila and it is true that the nightlife in PG is better. The Point Bar near Asia Divers is fun after a long day’s diving. Watch out for that bloody bell though! There are superb restaurants in PG also, giving you a lot more options.

Unfortunately, the bloody Red Sun resort is now finished. It looks as if a cruise ship has slammed into the side of the island and left rooms for people to sleep in. From my standpoint, the view in Dumaguete is far superior, especially at sunset.

What tips the scale for me also is that there are other things to do in Dumaguete, such as hikes and other sporting activities. And though it is a strange dive (one I wouldn’t flock to for its own merit), I recommend the Bacong pier dive, which you have to do when there isn’t a huge ship docked to get in the way. There are creatures galore on those haphazard spires holding the piers up, and if you are lucky a smaller ship might be in to give you one heck of an interesting silhouette against a backdrop of light and fish. It was very nice in an industrialized kind of way. I saw so many sea horses there and frog fish, I was amazed that they’d opted for such a place to put up shop. Again, not worth it on its own but it is a nice novelty.

Also, you can get a boat ride out to Sigijor (roughly the same time it would take you to get to the washing machine in PG). There are nice dive sites there also, and if you are inclined, do the drive up to the “healers” living in the hills nearby, you can get an interesting view of Filipino culture and mythology. There are human beings living there that are older than Adam, so they claim.

For what it is worth, Anilao represents a great compromise between the two. It is the same distance out of Manila (not including the banka ride needed to get to PG), and there are very nice dive sites scattered around the point. It is just as easy to get to the washing machine, and you will have access to Sombero Island and Beatrice, two fantastic dives!

Still Dumeguete beats them both by my estimation. No matter what you choose though, you are in for a treat.

After all that, I’m off to PG this weekend, not to Dumaguete. I’d stay at El Dorado in Dumaguete as well. I think their food is better than Atlantis. Just an observation.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

hi,
I have dived both of them are great. i stayed at the apo island resort , if not for the great diving there I might go home right away bec. of no electricity and just nothing to do but eat at the resto . But I had great pictures from macro to wide school fish shots. video is also incredible bec. of the clear water. In contrast I always dive at PG bec (once or twice a month). it's nearer to manila. My shots are also great but I think when you come by march the visibility will be better on that time. Fish life is also incredible from nudies to shark and turtle.:14:
The good thing about PG is that there are a lot of things to do after diving eg. night life or just strolling along the bars and resto in that place. You can also do hiking and climbing to the falls near PG and just tour the island before flying back to manila ( since you cant dive on the last day)
In my opinion take PG since you hav'nt been there.

HI there, I'm currenlty in Auburn, CA while writing this. I think Pakman says it right! I really depends upon what kind of atmosphere you want later. It's been 3 years, but Apo Island was excellent we stayed on the island. But PG for what it is, can also be great, and maybe more variety of things to do 'topside'. If you have never been to PG, go for it, and do get them to take you to Verde Island. Have fun!

Both places are great! Dumagete for the slightly clearer water, and seemingly more varied life, and Puerto Galera for the variety of diving possibiliteis, (deep;rec;tech;wreck;nature;drift).
It will all depend on you. Dumagete is a plane flight away from Manilla, so you will have to factor that into your off-gassing time. Puerto Galera is just a 2 hour ride and 45 min boat ride south of Manilla. My wife and I were in both places in Nov 2005, I guess we just missed you!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom