DUI's New Zip Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Anyone had one installed yet? Seems like such a good idea, but is it reliable and safe in the long run is my question?

It's designed for the rental community, where a number of different sized necks will use the same suit.

Otherwise, I'd say it's unnecessary and a failure point waiting to happen... do you know how expensive and difficult it is to replace a zipper, compared to swapping out a latex neck seal?

I dunno much about them since I wasn't at DEMA, but I am skeptical. It sounds like it would be adding additional failure points at each seal, but I will reserve judgment until I get to see them up close.

Their customer service assured me that the seal would rip first before the zip seal would open creating that failure point.

It costs around $400+ for the upgrade to your current DUI suit. I don't know though, does look like a failure point. If you look on their website and see the pictures, doesn't look all that reliable to me. I will wait to see when my LDS gets them in the store to get a better look.

I like the convenience, but not willing to take the chance on any failure.

Jackknife once bubbled...
It costs around $400+ for the upgrade to your current DUI suit.
Jeez, is that for both wrists and the neck? Seems pretty steep. Any idea how much the seals alone cost, particularly the neck seal?

I got to play with a sample a while ago and was quite impressed.

Myself and another big guy (both over 200 lbs) tested the ziplock. I grabbed the arm material, and he grabbed the wrist seal. We both leaned back and probably put 50 lbs of force on the thing (I mean we were really trying to break it). The rubber was somewhat disfigured, but the ziplock suffered no discernable damage and did not unzip.

I'm sold.

Atticus once bubbled...

Myself and another big guy (both over 200 lbs) tested the ziplock. I grabbed the arm material, and he grabbed the wrist seal. We both leaned back and probably put 50 lbs of force on the thing (I mean we were really trying to break it). The rubber was somewhat disfigured, but the ziplock suffered no discernable damage and did not unzip.

I'm sold.
Interesting. I'd be willing to try one of the neck seals provided they aren't "unreasonably" expensive. If they cost way more than a regular neck seal then I won't bother.

Atticus once bubbled...

I'm sold.

Your the only one i know of besides my dive shop who said the same thing. I want to see for myself before I make a decision. Sounds promising. The only thing is that I want to know how much the replacement seals costs? I wonder if those will be expensive and whether they will sell it in bulk?

As soon as I do, I don't know when, I will post my findings.

Howdy, long time reader, first time poster.

The new seals will cost $399 or some amount around there to retrofit onto an old or new stock suit, DUI or not. But will cost $129 if you add it on to a signature series order (custom suit size). It's obviously cheaper in that aspect because the suit is in pieces and put together for you. While on the other hand, a suit with existing seals has to be carefully removed/cleaned and then have the new seal ring glued in, so the cost reflects the amount of work.

When I had asked a few days ago, they had not come up with the details for the seals or gloves.

I myself got to play around with the seals at the Scuba Show in Long Beach, CA, back in June 03, and I have to say, I am very impressed with the design, VERY tough to come apart. Although, in truth, it is another failure point, but it is one that is highly unlikely to happen.

cid` once bubbled...
Howdy, long time reader, first time poster.

The new seals will cost $399 or some amount around there to retrofit onto an old or new stock suit, DUI or not. But will cost $129 if you add it on to a signature series order (custom suit size). It's obviously cheaper in that aspect because the suit is in pieces and put together for you. While on the other hand, a suit with existing seals has to be carefully removed/cleaned and then have the new seal ring glued in, so the cost reflects the amount of work.

When I had asked a few days ago, they had not come up with the details for the seals or gloves.

I myself got to play around with the seals at the Scuba Show in Long Beach, CA, back in June 03, and I have to say, I am very impressed with the design, VERY tough to come apart. Although, in truth, it is another failure point, but it is one that is highly unlikely to happen.

I own a Signature Series CF200X and it does not come in pieces as you say, it is basically a "Special Production" suit that comes with the hood, pockets and knee pads. In other words, DUI alters the Special Production suit to better fit the client, and then add the accessories afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom