DUI's new Zip Seals....concensus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud:
The failure point is the seal. The Zip seals just make it easier to fix the failure.

How many people ever tear a seal? I have a TLS and CLX and just ordered another TLS. So, I looked into the zipseals. Here are the problems:

1) Most people seem to agree that the neck zipseal is not as comfortable. So, at a minimum get the regular latex neck seal. Neck seals are even harder to tear.

2) I have hundreds of hours in both of my suits and have never torn a wrist seal.

3) Replacing a glued wrist seal is actually pretty easy. Replacing a broken zip ring or whatever you want to call it can't be done in an afternoon. (Well, it can, but you would have to have more than just a new seal.)

4) While it is a neat design, it is possible to pop the zipseal loose/ break it. Given the basically bulletproof nature of latex wrist seals once they are actually on, this does introduce a much greater risk of flood. It may not be much greater statistically, but in really cold water or on dives where you can't immediately surface, it is not worth it.

I really like DUI suits but I wonder about some of their new changes. I have to spec every piece of a custom suit now to change the overlay, valves, boots, etc. just to get the "right" suit.

Very good design, but expensive. I have about 50 dives on my neck zip seals, and no problems at all.

Zipgloves were simply too outrageously expensive for me, so I had an SI-5 glove ring system installed instead, which allows $10/pair fisherman's gloves to be used.

If you want Dry Gloves you don't want the zip gloves, you want a combo of both (see image) If you tear the glove or even get a small puncture the whole suit will be an issue in terms of leaking.

See my profile picture for how it plays out when the suit is on. Most people ask "Those look huge, don't they take up tons of sapce on your fore arms?" Well see for yourself the answer is no.

So I have a brand new suit with the zip seals on neck and wrists. The neck zip seal is noticable when putting on the suit, and worse, downright annoying when taking it off (I guess I have a big head). They also make the suit bulkier when folded up for transport.

The problem I'm having which I'm not sure are the zip seals fault is that there is so much foldover at my wrists that I can't see my latex seals once it is on, and my wet gloves are a pain to put on. This might be because the measurements for my arm lengths weren't taken with the zip seal considerations, which adds a few inches of material. Has anybody else experienced this or did my LDS screw up here?

Solution, get dry gloves. Of course, if I go with the ring system which Cali68 mentions (which would be my preference) then I'll end up with even more fluff at my wrists, but then I might not care so much.

Still, the idea of being able to replace my own seals quickly and for slightly cheaper when the time comes still seems like a plus to me. Also, the insurance that my seals can be replaced on the liveaboard if they rip seems worth it to me as well. Time will tell, but so far the score is not in the zip seals favor.

-Dan

dbgordon:
So I have a brand new suit with the zip seals on neck and wrists. The neck zip seal is noticable when putting on the suit, and worse, downright annoying when taking it off (I guess I have a big head). They also make the suit bulkier when folded up for transport.

The problem I'm having which I'm not sure are the zip seals fault is that there is so much foldover at my wrists that I can't see my latex seals once it is on, and my wet gloves are a pain to put on. This might be because the measurements for my arm lengths weren't taken with the zip seal considerations, which adds a few inches of material. Has anybody else experienced this or did my LDS screw up here?

Solution, get dry gloves. Of course, if I go with the ring system which Cali68 mentions (which would be my preference) then I'll end up with even more fluff at my wrists, but then I might not care so much.

Still, the idea of being able to replace my own seals quickly and for slightly cheaper when the time comes still seems like a plus to me. Also, the insurance that my seals can be replaced on the liveaboard if they rip seems worth it to me as well. Time will tell, but so far the score is not in the zip seals favor.

-Dan

Hi Dan, Congratulatulations on the new suit! What kind did you get? I think the fold over is actually part of the design. When the zip seals (suit side) are disconnectied from the zip latex seals do they fall right about wrist level? If so then it's right. Look at this picture and you can see that the guy on the bottom has the folded thing going on:
http://www.dui-online.com/dry_cf.htm

In my profile picture you can see that the ring is right at the wrist but what you don't see is that there is about 2-3 inches of the glove material "tucked" back in there. It's all good. If you decide to go with Dry Gloves PM me for some info.

PS I'm diving with Mel on the 6th. PM me if you can go too.

Thanks for the quick feedback Chris. Say . . . why aren't you out diving? :)

Glad to hear that the wrist foldover is a normal annoyance, and not one specially created for me. ;-) There have just been so many things wrong with the custom suit since I got it that I'm suspecting everything now. Today it'll be going back for the second time, to be gone yet another 2-3 weeks. Uhg.

But thanks for the congrats. It is still a great thing. I've only managed 7 wet dives in it so far (leaking seals) but already I'll miss it badly.

I am definitely going to go for the dry glove solution. For some reason my hands are colder in the drysuit with the same wet gloves than they are when I'm in the wetsuit.
Contrast I guess. I'd appreciate any info you can share.

Thanks for the weekend invite. Mel talked to me about it too. I can definitely use the practice. Unforetunately, I'll be in my wetsuit again. I'll let you guys know later in PM.

-Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom