DUI's new Zip Seals....concensus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry Diver:
Two of my buddies have the new DUI and they both have sent them back to be fixed. DUI's always leak anyway and those zip seals are expensive to install and replace. Talc your seals and keep them out of light and they will last forever. The guys at USIA showed me how to maintain them. Seals haven't been replaced for 2 years.

I LOVE my new Zip seals! And my DUI suit has always been absolutely dry with 2 minor exceptions: 1. When I trimmed the wrist seals just a bit too loose and got we wrists until I had the Zips installed, and 2. When I leave the vent TOTALLY open and get just a bit wet on the shoulder.

theskull

Ha, thats too funny. Ive owned two DUI drysuits now, and have never had a leak... As far as the zip seals go, you will never see them on my suit. First of all, too expensive, and secondly, I believe it creates an added failure point (yet to be seen how durable they are).

Dry Diver:
...DUI's always leak anyway...

DUI's are probably the best suits available on the market. There's a reason why they're the suit of choice for most cavers who spend several hours in cold water. Among many examples, DUI's were used when the longest cave dive record was broken.

LUBOLD8431:
...I believe it creates an added failure point (yet to be seen how durable they are).

The failure point is the seal. The Zip seals just make it easier to fix the failure.

Hey guys and gals... very interesting thread here. I was curious about the dry gloves and just how strong they are. Would you be afraid to grab a wreck? How about going for lobster w/ all the sharp spikes and stuff. Thanks for any info.

Gerard

Arnaud:
The failure point is the seal. The Zip seals just make it easier to fix the failure.

I disagree. With a normal latex seal, it is GLUED onto the suit. With the zip seals, its a zip. The zip IS another failure point. You cant do anything about a ripped seal underwater anyway (its not like you pull out another seal from your pocket and install underwater).

Dry Diver:
Two of my buddies have the new DUI and they both have sent them back to be fixed. DUI's always leak anyway and those zip seals are expensive to install and replace.

Umm, I think that this is a silly thing to say. Certainly DUI drysuits are very well made. They don't always leak. I have one that never leaks. Certainly zip seals are not expensive to install. They are designed to be replaced by the user, free.
Also, it is true that you're not going to do anything about a ripped seal underwater. However, if you just spent a couple grand on a dive trip to BC and tear a seal you might be glad to have a zip seal in your save a dive that you can install (free) and be back in the water in 10 minutes with. That to me is the real value of zip seals.

LUBOLD8431:
I disagree. With a normal latex seal, it is GLUED onto the suit. With the zip seals, its a zip. The zip IS another failure point. You cant do anything about a ripped seal underwater anyway (its not like you pull out another seal from your pocket and install underwater).

I've been diving with the zips for 3 months now and have no problem to report.

You can't do anything underwater but as soon as you're back on the boat, you can have new seals on in less than 5 minutes. Obviously, you'll probably need a change of undies as well :wink:

This might be a very dumb question. I've never actually seen the zip seals/gloves. If you have the zip gloves and you damage them, can you still replace them with the cheapo blue rubber gloves that everyone uses? As I understand it, you can replace gloves fairly cheaply with the ring system. Thanks!

ClassAction:
This might be a very dumb question. I've never actually seen the zip seals/gloves. If you have the zip gloves and you damage them, can you still replace them with the cheapo blue rubber gloves that everyone uses? As I understand it, you can replace gloves fairly cheaply with the ring system. Thanks!

You'd need to replace them with zip-gloves (somewhere around $100/pair) [or patch the old ones].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom