DUI Zip Neck Seal vs Si Tech ORust Neck Seal System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question is how often would you need to mess with the clips?

That's the question I don't need to think about... simple generally trumps convoluted, for myriad reasons.

The question is how often would you need to mess with the clips?
The advantage of replaceable seals is that it is possible to replace them in the field. Just consider the conditions under which you may have to replace them and often that will not be the ideal circumstances to find the clips that accidentally spring off in different directions as you are trying to install them.

The advantage of replaceable seals is that it is possible to replace them in the field. Just consider the conditions under which you may have to replace them and often that will not be the ideal circumstances to find the clips that accidentally spring off in different directions as you are trying to install them.
I’ve had one neck seal tear, I had trimmed it, don’t trim them anymore and still using that same seal. Comfort over the years probably outweighs the odd chance of losing a clip, looking at the set up it looks like you could lose several and still have everything work fine. If you’ve ever had to use the roller tool in adverse conditions like a small rocking boat losing the tool may be as big a risk. There is always a balance in risk assessment, the best way to avoid a seal leaking is to dive wet.
I don’t know if the O-Rust is a good or bad thing because I’ve never used one but if I were going to order a new suit I think I would try it.

I have a TLS350 with Zip neck which I cut out, then ground down the residual rubber with a Dremel tool.

divad:

Do you find the Quick Neck system more comfortable than the DUI Zip neck ring system? To me the DUI Zip neck ring feels like my old Fusion drysuit with the Si Tech original neck ring system.

Thanks,
O.

For me the SI Tech neck ring is stiff and reduces my ability to do valve shut downs. Having tried it for a year I am going back to a latex neck seal.

The o-rust system still uses a securing ring similar to the the quick neck. The clips help retain/secure it in place due to how flexible the system is. The issue is not that the clips will spring everywhere when attaching and what not.

I spoke to DRIS about this months ago to get a better understanding of why they recommend the quick neck instead and their response was that the clips have a tendency to break with with repeated removal and replacement. The clips are not widely available so if one loses one/some and they are not carrying an adequate supply of spares they may not be diving their suit until they do. Because of this information we ordered my wife's drysuit with the quick neck.

Flexibility and comfort are a good thing, but best can be the enemy of good enough and I think in si-tech's quest to create the best system they have been putting out products that work very well in theory but in practical use are kind of flops. I am just glad that thus far they have not discontinue the products that work well as they introduce their flops to the diving market.

-Z

For me the SI Tech neck ring is stiff and reduces my ability to do valve shut downs. Having tried it for a year I am going back to a latex neck seal.
I, too, think the gen 1 Si Tech (Necktite) is too stiff. Not so for the gen 2 (Quickneck).

divad:

Do you find the Quick Neck system more comfortable than the DUI Zip neck ring system? To me the DUI Zip neck ring feels like my old Fusion drysuit with the Si Tech original neck ring system.

Thanks,
O.

Its been so long that I don't really remember. My initial concern was the proprietary-seal replacement cost; I can buy 3 or 4 silicone seals for the price of 1 Zip neck seal.

Its like Sans-a-Belt pants....you can buy the pants but you MUST wear the built-in belt.
If I was forced to wear Sans-a-Belt pants, I would probably cut off the belt and replace it with a piece of rope...........and I'd LIKE it that way........

I’m glad to see this post as I’m thinking about ordering a suit from Deep 6 (killer Black Friday deal till the end of the year). They offer the 2 newer SITech options: ORust (gen 3) and Quick Neck (gen 2). As well as the wrist options from SITech.

I reached out to SITech to ask about the difference. Lars explained that they launched the ORust mainly because some manufactures have launched “light weight” suits, and as such the Quick Neck is thought time be two stiff, if you wear a “heavy” suit then you can’t tell much difference between the two systems. I’m waiting to hear what he would call the Deep 6 suit; light or heavy.

I see a lot of conversation about the hypnotically issues with the ORust clips but is there anyone on this thread that is currently using the ORust? Are the clips an issue? Do they pop off? Did you order extra to keep in your save-a-dive?

I’m glad to see this post as I’m thinking about ordering a suit from Deep 6 (killer Black Friday deal till the end of the year). They offer the 2 newer SITech options: ORust (gen 3) and Quick Neck (gen 2). As well as the wrist options from SITech.

I reached out to SITech to ask about the difference. Lars explained that they launched the ORust mainly because some manufactures have launched “light weight” suits, and as such the Quick Neck is thought time be two stiff, if you wear a “heavy” suit then you can’t tell much difference between the two systems. I’m waiting to hear what he would call the Deep 6 suit; light or heavy.

I see a lot of conversation about the hypnotically issues with the ORust clips but is there anyone on this thread that is currently using the ORust? Are the clips an issue? Do they pop off? Did you order extra to keep in your save-a-dive?

I researched this on behalf of my wife a number of months ago as we were preparing to order her a made-to-measure drysuit. The response I received from DRIS is that the clips have a tendency to break when removing/replacing them which necessitates having a supply of them on hand. We opted to have the Quick Neck system installed.

I have a dive buddy who recently had the O-rust installed on his suit and although he has not dived it much this season due to work related travel, he has no complaints...the retaining ring and clips can be attached without tools. Something to pry with may be necessary to remove the clips. The clips are not something that one will typically find at a LDS unless they are doing a lot of business with si-tech, so if you go with this system you may have issues sourcing them if/as they break.

Field/self replaceable neck seal is a win in my book regardless of which system you choose. The only concern I would have buying the O-rust is that since the clips are perishable/consumable that if si-tech discontinues the system or changes the design and stops making the clips for the O-rust you can have an otherwise perfectly good system that is worthless. To me, less parts = less complications in both the short and long run.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom