DUI Zip Gloves - Fragile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the start my ZIP seals leak on both sides. Just a little, but enough to make my arms moist. DUI checked the seals twice, but they can't solve the problem. Doesn't any of you experience the same?

D.

Mine only leaked once, when I failed to make one of them seal completely on attaching it. After that dive I'm more thorough in checking my zips (XYZ) before I dive them.

theskull

Well, the first time the LDS noticed there was some glue in that part ZIP that is attached to the sleeve (on both sides :06:). The second time nobody found the cause. I guess that the leaks on both sides are very small, so that I only get noticeable wet after 30 minutes. I assume these leaks are the thoughed to be found. It has nothing to do with attaching the dry gloves (or in my case semi-dry gloves :D) to the sleeves.

I'm serious considering replacing my ZIP seals and dry gloves with regular seals with wet gloves.

D.

theskull:
Mine only leaked once, when I failed to make one of them seal completely on attaching it. After that dive I'm more thorough in checking my zips (XYZ) before I dive them.

theskull

Thanks for all the great advice folks. Now that you mention it, I do feel a little moist inside the suit, but my buddy from the LDS said that it's just condensation. When you sweat the vapor condenses on the coldness of the suit. My undergarment is not wet at all, just a thin film of moisture on the inside of the suit. Even so, it seems strange because I think it happens in the arms more than anywhere else, and this is coincidentally where my zip seals are.

Aside from that, yes, I have to get my suit on and off with the gloves on, which I'm able to do with minimal help, but the problem lies in helping students with their needs prior to getting into the water. I try to get my suit on last, but someone invariably needs help with their gear as we're heading down the shore.

I still have yet to receive my replacement gloves from the defective pair that came with my suit. I did end up buying a new pair and had them express shipped to me so that I could at least use my suit in the meantime.

Mo2vation, your idea about the DC gloves sounds great, but I am still struggling to visualize what you did there. Did you keep a DUI zip seal on, and add a ring (with another latex seal) to it? One thing that is discouraging about the prospect of converting my zip gloves to a ring and glove system, is that they're cut so far up the forearm. Every other diver I see with ring and glove, has the ring closer to the wrist. But the DUI zip gloves are so long that the connection is pretty far from your wrist, which adds to the difficulty of putting them on. Ah well, sometimes the more expensive route is not the better way to go :11doh:

Thank you all for helping, and I welcome any additional insights.

Mo2vation:
I dived with Zip gloves for the last two years (a few hundred dives) - I hated donning my suit with the gloves on. After my right one started leaking this winter I moved over the the Diving Concepts gloves.

I'm never looking back. I put the suit-side ring on the Latex Zip seal (snaping the DC glove on and off) and just re-attach the Latex Zip seal to the suit. I have about 30 or so dives on my DC gloves so far and they've been perfect.

59670916.ZipSealDCGLove.jpg

The $17 Glove replacement price (as opposed to DUI's $168) was the driver. I can't recommend this retro-fit enough to anyone with Zip seals. COVCI's $140 delivered is the best price I've found (apart from the eBay and TDS prices I've gotten.)

I love 'em. The Zip gloves were fine (although if they leak, I flood) - but I'm glad I made the move to the DC Gloves.

---
Ken

PS: I always use a little dishsoap when I put on my zips.

funkyspelunker:
Mo2vation, your idea about the DC gloves sounds great, but I am still struggling to visualize what you did there. Did you keep a DUI zip seal on, and add a ring (with another latex seal) to it? One thing that is discouraging about the prospect of converting my zip gloves to a ring and glove system, is that they're cut so far up the forearm. Every other diver I see with ring and glove, has the ring closer to the wrist. But the DUI zip gloves are so long that the connection is pretty far from your wrist, which adds to the difficulty of putting them on. Ah well, sometimes the more expensive route is not the better way to go :11doh:

Thank you all for helping, and I welcome any additional insights.

Don't think of your latex zip seal as a latex zip seal. Think of it as a traditional seal fastened to the suit. You install the DC Glove system just as you would on any other suit... it just take a little more effort, as you are working with that 1" rubber/plastic ring that IS the zip seal.

All you're doing is following DC's installation procedures outlined on their site - its a pretty simple install. For me, I pulled off the latex zip seal so I wasn't schlepping the whole suit around the kitchen table(!)... YMMV.

Also - remember the DC system uses the SAME GLOVES as DUI (Atlas 495) - so they will ultimately sit in the same place and fit the same.

I had well over 100 dives on my zip gloves before I switched to the DC's. I would have never made the switch is there was an economical (read: TWO digit) way to replace the zip gloves. But my cheapness forced me out of them and into a better system :D

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom