DUI Zip Gloves - Fragile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just got my brand spankin' new DUI Signature Series CF200x yesterday. I was so excited to get it after waiting over a month and a half for it. I tried it on in the dive shop and about 20 minutes after taking it out of the box I tried to pull the zip glove off and the rim of the glove (that seats into the 'zip' portion of the suit) cracked/ripped. I couldn't believe it. I didn't pull hard at all, I just peeled back the edge of the zip seal and rrrip! The guys in the dive shop could see the look on my face and my moment of joy with the new suit was quickly replaced by the horror of a) buying a new pair of gloves and b) having to wait longer to use my suit.

This morning the shop manager called DUI and they agreed to swap out the gloves for free, but that I couldn't try to dive the gloves I had (the tear was on one of the two rings that seat into the suit, so theoretically it might still seal). I totally appreciate DUI taking care of me at no charge, but I'm not very happy about waiting another coupla weeks to get in the water with the CF. My bigger question is: are these zip gloves/seals really that fragile, or did I get a defective glove? I simply can't imagine such a rugged suit having such fragile seals. I was very careful when I was trying on the new suit and the shop employees agreed that I didn't do anything improperly from what they could tell.

Also, on a different note, I got the suit with the reflective tape, figuring my buddies could see me better in the murky waters of the PNW. The tape looks good but the placement is horrible! Two of the four strips of reflective tape are on the back. Yes, on the back, under my BC! The other two are right on the top side of my elbow, where they're unavoidably crimped up each time I bend my arm. I was thinking a good place for the reflectors would be a) on the shoulder, b) on the tricep, or c) around the cuffs just below the wrist.

Anyways, I'm very excited about the suit overall. It's the most expensive thing I've bought so far in my adventures as a diver, but I guess I'll be staring at it for the next couple weeks until I get my new gloves :11doh:

Hey Funky,

I bought a DUI TLS350 a month ago and it has zip seals and I love 'em. I don't have the zip gloves but prefer to dive with the Deep Sea drygloves. So far three dives and no problems with the zip seals. I try to be real careful when putting my hands and head through. I'm used to just pulling my wetsuit on and now I have to have a little more patience. :D Maybe you just got a defective glove and everything goes well from now on.

Also, I didn't know this but found out after just about pulling my hair out over this problem....getting the zip seals in. It is easier if you spray a solution of baby shampoo (10%) and (90%) water on the grooves where it zips in. They'll glide right into the grooves.

Good luck with the new suit!

So far, I'm still in the middle of the debacle trying to get some replacements (I bought a pair in the meantime so I can still dive). One thing I've noticed is how darn hard these things are to get on, even after a little practice and some soapy water (thanks suthnbelle). Now, I just leave them on all the time and do everything either before I don the suit or with the gloves on, which kind of defeats the purpose of them for me. Is it too late for me to go with a ring system? Also, if I were to do that, I'd opt to not have an inner latex seal (I know that my suit could flood, but this is the current situation anyway, and I'm allergic to latex).

I changed a lot Zip-Seals (see DUI-Rally) , with gloves, without no one ripped appart.
I'm changing mine and I'm using all the time a magic product in a bottle (soap&water) like Suthnbelle.
I'm using the soap&water for the wrist and neck seals too......

I dived with Zip gloves for the last two years (a few hundred dives) - I hated donning my suit with the gloves on. After my right one started leaking this winter I moved over the the Diving Concepts gloves.

I'm never looking back. I put the suit-side ring on the Latex Zip seal (snaping the DC glove on and off) and just re-attach the Latex Zip seal to the suit. I have about 30 or so dives on my DC gloves so far and they've been perfect.

59670916.ZipSealDCGLove.jpg

The $17 Glove replacement price (as opposed to DUI's $168) was the driver. I can't recommend this retro-fit enough to anyone with Zip seals. COVCI's $140 delivered is the best price I've found (apart from the eBay and TDS prices I've gotten.)

I love 'em. The Zip gloves were fine (although if they leak, I flood) - but I'm glad I made the move to the DC Gloves.

---
Ken

PS: I always use a little dishsoap when I put on my zips.

Wow, I've got maybe 20-25 dives on my DS, a TLS350 with Zips and haven't had a problem. I'm a little surprised the shop didn't have gloves in stock. My LDS has new gloves, wrist and neck seals in stock. If DUI was going to swap out defective ones, the shop will front you a new pair from stock and keep the new ones DUI sends out. I

I have probably 50 dives on my zip gloves with never a problem. They are a pain to get on though and I cant feel my neck seal when I pull the suit over. That's what a buddy is for though I guess.

Terry

The gloves are very tough--you clearly had a defective one.

At first you will find it awkward to get geared up while wearing the gloves - BUT - you will develop dexterity with practice and if you can't operate your gear while wearing the gloves then you are endangering yourself by diving with dry gloves. Don't worry, you'll quickly be capable of tying your shoes while wearing the gloves.

BTW--one of the best features of the ZIPS is the ability to change out quickly if you have a failure, so to take advantage of this you need to have a spare set of gloves in your save-a-dive kit, or a spare set of wrist seals and a pair of neoprene gloves. I have had several weekends of diving saved by having a spare neck seal and wrist seals in my bag--and once saved an acquaintances weekend when he split a wrist seal while pulling on his suit for the second dive of the weekend.

theskull

theskull:
The gloves are very tough--you clearly had a defective one.

At first you will find it awkward to get geared up while wearing the gloves - BUT - you will develop dexterity with practice and if you can't operate your gear while wearing the gloves then you are endangering yourself by diving with dry gloves. Don't worry, you'll quickly be capable of tying your shoes while wearing the gloves.

BTW--one of the best features of the ZIPS is the ability to change out quickly if you have a failure, so to take advantage of this you need to have a spare set of gloves in your save-a-dive kit, or a spare set of wrist seals and a pair of neoprene gloves. I have had several weekends of diving saved by having a spare neck seal and wrist seals in my bag--and once saved an acquaintances weekend when he split a wrist seal while pulling on his suit for the second dive of the weekend.

theskull
Ohh yeahhhh

The zip seal is also very tough. It is always pita to disconnect the zip to me. I mean it is very secure. You had better talk with the customer service directly. It is much easier to talk and deal with based on my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom