DUI vs. Bare Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove both DUI's CF200 and Bare's XCD2. Both are comparable in the water. I own a Bare XCD2 and like it very much. The DUI suit is a fantastic suit, but the one thing I don't like about the DUI is the crotch strap and cost. For the money I would go with the Bare over a DUI any day. As far as underwear goes spend the money on good underwear and you'll be happy you did. You get what you pay for with dry suits and underwear, to a point and then you start to pay for a name (DUI is a name).

I bought a Bare HD Tech Trilam from www.divetank.com. So far I really like it. The fabric looks really tough. I got the suit, custom cut (2 inches off the legs), Polarwear T-100, hood and Trek boots for a little over half of a DUI TLS stock suit without any extras. Hard to beat that deal.

jonnythan:
http://www.scubacenter.com/drysuit.htm will hook you up with a custom Diving Concepts Ultraflex Pro plus custom TPS Thinsulate Extreme undies and socks for less than $1800US :wink:

There is obviously alot of price variability out there.....

I paid less than this for my DUI TLS 350 Signature Series + Viking 400g Thinsulate underwear.

I'll also agree with comments regarding cold tolerability. It depends on where you are, the variability of the water temps and your own personal cold tolerability. Here in greater Boston, the 400 weight Thinsulate can really make sense -- temps at deep depths under the thermocline will be in the 40s for most of the year.....even for temps in the 50s I still find it comfortable. Some folks find it somewhat thick...and perhaps too much if you are doing shallower diving between June and Labor Day......YMMV.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom