DUI vs Aqualung Fusion Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horizontal front zip is supposed to be easier to self don for those with broad shoulders/chest and/or limited flexibility compared to diagonal front zip.

Did 4 dives in the loaner Fusion this weekend. 2 quarry, 2 Lake Michigan.

First impressions:

Heck of a lot more flexible and lighter than my USIA trilam. Nice to dive. I had no issues getting my fins on at the quarry.

It felt weird getting into the top half. You have to twitch your shoulders or something to get it on your shoulders. Found it was easier while sitting on the boat than standing at the quarry.

It was HOT. Can’t wait to get mine wth the AirCore and see if it really is
as breathable as advertised. The 61F bottom temp on the second wreck yesterday was very welcome. I wore a workout wicking t-shirt and leggings under the AL MK2 fleece onesie. It was 50F at 45ft at the quarry on Saturday. Felt lovely. It was hot and sunny. Got suited up and then hung out in the water for a bit before getting geared up. Even my buddy in his 7mm did the same.

Since the suit is more flexible, it’s also easier to deal with when packing in its bag and drying at home (hung it on a HangAir and ran the fan all night).

The amount of weight I needed was ridiculous -28 lbs! 4 more than my 7mm. This was with a SS BP and weighted STA (12 lbs) and a steel HP80. But 28lbs is about what I needed with my other drysuit. Hope I can drop some of it soon! Will try it with SM at the quarry Saturday, back on the lake Sunday.

EDIT: still not a fan of the zipper.
For clarity, I am assuming that your weighting includes the BP and STA in the total? Or are they in addition? If so, that seems like a lot.

For clarity, I am assuming that your weighting includes the BP and STA in the total? Or are they in addition? If so, that seems like a lot.

Yes, the 28lbs includes BP and STA. I am naturally very floaty. I remember reading a post by Lynne that she required nearly 30lbs which was dismissed as unrealistic by someone online until they saw her dive in person.

For the record - I have been absolutely abusing my fusion for years - it's still holding up. I use the gray inner core. it can get hot on the surface however - out at sea on a boat it is a non issue and for shore diving if you just put all your gear together and then jump in to cool off and come out it's fine - or stay in the shade.

I've geared up in 100F+ surface temps and as long as you manage the heat you'll be ok.

I agree the zipper is kinda weird but I don't mind it.
I agree putting the suit on requires practice - the lower half is the challenge, the upper half is a non issue.
I love the flexibility and the fit of the suit - it is perfect for me.

I am looking forward to hearing about the aircore as I have dove all the skins but never the new aircore.

Drysuit cert???? sounds unnecessary if one has experienced drysuit divers to dive with and learn from. I can see it when traveling somewhere and wanting to rent a drysuit but who does that? If I am traveling somewhere to dive it will be someplace warm where I will be diving wet.

Not advocating being dangerous or stupid about getting in open water and dropping down to 30 meters the first time in a drysuit without any understanding of how to properly dive in one, but a certification card just seems unnecessary...just go to the pool and practice. A cert course just seems like a way for an instructor/agency to score another couple hundred dollars.

-Z

Having the card if I want to rent a drysuit is one reason to take the drysuit course. I get a leak in my drysuit, I want to rent one until mine comes back from repair. Better have a card. I'm traveling to same latitude. If I need a drysuit at home, I'll probably need a drysuit on vacation. Obviously, don't need a drysuit if I'm going to the Caribbean. But I'd probably need a drysuit if I'm going to Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Cave diving. Probably need a drysuit. It is a 5 hour flight to cave country for me. I can bring my drysuit or rent one when I'm there. Even if I bring my drysuit, what it I have a leak or tear a seal? Be nice to have the option to rent.

As for not needing the course. Why not get the course as part of the drysuit purchase. For example, I'll buy your drysuit if you throw in the course. We can do it in one day on a dive charter. Plus I'll sign up for a dive charter (which I'd do anyways). :wink:

Today it was in the 90s and very oppressively humid. Wasnt that much cooler on the water. Lake Michigan afternoon charter. I considered pulling my 5mm wetsuit out, but went dry instead. Jumped in to cool off before I got geared up before both dives. Made a huge difference. My computer showed surface temp was low 80s, but it was 71F at 30ft (2 shallow wrecks).

I noticed that the suit seemed tight on both legs, almost as if suit was too short. That’s definitely not the case as the L/XL is made for people at least 6” taller than I am. Talked to Mike. He suspects I’m not pulling the skin up enough. In other words, the “pantyhose dance” (how I describe getting into a Fusion) needs to be more thorough!

check also where the excess material is bunched up, you want to even it out a bit and not have it all bunched up on the lower calf and ankle.

I find my fusion bullet to always feel a bit snug throughout my thigh area....it feels like the suit material is wrapped around me there. It is much less pronounced with my fusion thermal undergarment and much more pronounced with just running tights or thin fleece pants under the suit. The air bubble in the suit tends to float above my waist or down below the knee...for me, the bubble hardly ever stays near my thigh area. I feel this more at the beggining of the dive and then I eventually forget about. I think it is a function of the extra material and the neoprene skin.

I bring one of those folding camping chairs with me to the dive site and sit down when donning the suit. It makes sliding my feet into the suit with attached fusion boots much easier and lets me more easily push the top half down to pull up the lower legs and thigh area from the inside to make it ready to pull up as I standup.

Hope that helps.

-Z

@Zef

Kinda hard to bring a chair on the boat.... :wink:

@Zef

Kinda hard to bring a chair on the boat.... :wink:

Kinda hard to not find a place to sit down on a boat**....

....sitting down anywhere should work the same, it just facilitates getting your legs into the suit without getting your socks dirty/sandy/wet/etc, and puts you in a good position to manage the legs of the suit in preparation to pull up to your waist. Its not critical or a big deal but YMMV.

**(unless the boat is so small that you have no room to maneuver like a sardine packed 7m RHIB...but in that case you would don your drysuit before getting on the boat...there should be a horizontal surface somewhere to park your arse to facilitate getting the suit on)

-Z

Back
Top Bottom