DUI Valve Service...we got a leaker, folks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In order to remove your inflator valve, you could make jigs out of a good grade of plywood or just use 2 great big pipe wrenches. Eventually it'll either come off and be serviceable, or it'll come off broken and you'll have to spend $40 for a new one.

Michael

I use the following tool to help unscrew the back of the valves in my drysuit. It is a park bottom bracket pin spanner. I have the makings of a bike shop and ski shop in the garage so I had this on hand already but they are not very expensive if you need to purchase one:

SPA-2_003.jpg

I believe one is supposed to press the purge/inflate button in when unscrewing/screwing the valves otherwise the inner workings can sustain irreparable damage.

-Z

Interesting...thanks for the suggestion, Zef :)

As far as the pressing the purge/inflate button when unscrewing to prevent irreparable damage...eh, not on these DUI/Apeks valves. They are totally separate systems.

You do have to press the exhaust valve down to unscrew/screw it apart tho...

Glad you got your inflator valve off. I tried everything to get the valve off my DUI FLX Extreme and ultimately had to send it in to a shop in Chicago for them to do it (I replaced my DUI inflator valve with a heated undergarment pass-through valve). According to the tech, they had to destroy the back plate (seems to be a DUI exclusive backing) to get the valve off as the glue was in the threads as well (as you found).

That sucks man :( Glad it worked out eventually tho :)

I think my saving grace is that the inflator was installed at least 10yrs ago...and the glue had weakened a bit.

I can see it being pretty easy to break the valve apart when trying to remove it....especially if it is older plastic...that is glued on.

I will try and test my setup this weekend....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom