DUI TLS350 vs USIA Aqua Deluxe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foglesre

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to narrow down my drysuit choices and need some help.

What I'm looking for is a lightweight trilam, front-entry drysuit. I did a few dives on a TLS350 at a DUI Dogdays and like it a fair bit. I'm just wondering if there's a more economical solution.

Reading about the USIA Aqua Deluxe, it sounds like it's a similarly lightweight shell suit, but I've not had a chance to put my hands on one from here in Texas. I'm hoping someone can give me a comparison between these suits with respect to fabric weight and build quality.

Now, I know that typically at this point there are a lot of recommendations for the Pinnacle Evolution 2 and Bare HD Tech, due to their quality construction and heavier, more durable material. I really don't see the need for heavier material than the TLS350 for my needs. This will be for tropical diving (I wear a 7 mil wetsuit in 82 degree water), some colder water west coast diving and some Yucatan-penninsula type cavern diving. I just wish that Bare still made the ATR Light, which I would have strongly considered (I think a Bare ML-Tall would fit great).

So, how does the USIA Aqua Deluxe fabric weight and quality compare to that of the DUI TLS350?

Regarding sizing, I'm 6'1", 165 lbs with pretty broad shoulders. With DUI sizing, the Large is quite baggy so I figured a Medium Tall would be good. Unfortunately, trying on a Medium, I find that the shoulders are restrictive. So it looks like I'm either accepting a baggy fit or a custom suit charge... Comparing my dimensions to the USIA size chart I expect I'd be going custom on the Aqua Deluxe as well.

Any advice on the likenesses/differences between these suits would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Regarding sizing, I'm 6'1", 165 lbs with pretty broad shoulders. With DUI sizing, the Large is quite baggy so I figured a Medium Tall would be good. Unfortunately, trying on a Medium, I find that the shoulders are restrictive. So it looks like I'm either accepting a baggy fit or a custom suit charge... Comparing my dimensions to the USIA size chart I expect I'd be going custom on the Aqua Deluxe as well.Bob

I'm also 6'2" / 165lb thin w/ broad shoulders so it seems like I'll have to go custom to get the right fit... i.e. I'm right there with you.

Let us know how it goes or if you learn anything new!

If you have questions about the USIA fabric, you might try asking over in the USIA forum.

ScubaBoard - USIA

I ordered a suit not long ago and the 2 top choices on my list were the USIA Techniflex and the TLS-350 . I went with the USIA, but I can see pluses and minuses for both suits. DUI has the stronger dealer network and much better resale value (for stock sizes anyway). With USIA you have to wait a while, but you get a custom cut for a fraction of the DUI price. I bought the custom cut Techniflex plus undergarments for less than the best price I could find on a stock TLS-350. The Techniflex came with pockets, knee pads, etc... that DUI charges extra for and the custom charges with USIA were a fraction of what I was looking at with DUI.

For me, the cost-benefit brought me to USIA.

Rich

I've heard (third-hand) that most drysuit manufacturers, specifically including USIA, are in some kind of backlog for custom drysuit orders because of a rise in large government orders due to release of federal funds. Anyone else hear something similar?

Seems nowadays more than 2/3 of what I hear while talking to thers just happens to be wrong...

Apparently, shortly before I ordered my USIA, they won the contract for surface suits for the US Coast Guard. HUGE contract, and I knew they would be busy. I called up the VP (who I had been dealing with) and told him it was fine if my suit needed to wait a while longer while they ramped up.

I was VERY pleased with both the customer service of USIA, and my Techniflex. That said, if I were looking for a lightweight suit similar to the TLS350, I would have not gotten the Techniflex. I will be very curious to hear about the Aqua Deluxe, as I may be interested in going to just a caving suit. The TLS350 is a serious contender if I do that, but BOY is it pricey.

Apparently, shortly before I ordered my USIA, they won the contract for surface suits for the US Coast Guard. HUGE contract, and I knew they would be busy. I called up the VP (who I had been dealing with) and told him it was fine if my suit needed to wait a while longer while they ramped up.

I was VERY pleased with both the customer service of USIA, and my Techniflex. That said, if I were looking for a lightweight suit similar to the TLS350, I would have not gotten the Techniflex. I will be very curious to hear about the Aqua Deluxe, as I may be interested in going to just a caving suit. The TLS350 is a serious contender if I do that, but BOY is it pricey.

FYI-If you can do without "front entry" it's $750 less.

The TLS-SE is cut narrow. That ain't workin for me! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom