DUI TLS350 and "foot protection"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought my drysuit this spring and still haven't dived it but I'm hoping to soon and started reading threads to find out a bit more about footwear. Obviously the suit has socks on it, but I don't have any turbosoles or anything like that.

I had just assumed I could dive the suit without any "overshoes" but then started thinking I don't really want to walk around on the socks and potentially wear holes in them so now I'm thinking I need something.
I was thinking I could probably get away with wearing a pair of converse sneakers over the socks and then put fins on them, since I've heard of people doing this.

I currently have one pair of fins that I wear with wetsuit booties but I'm not sure whether or not they'll be big enough to accommodate even larger footwear. I wear size 12 shoes and have no idea how much larger a pair to buy to still fit with drysuit socks rather than standard socks.

What have your experiences been with regards to buying new footwear to go over your drysuit socks? How about fins, have you had to replace those in order to fit boots in them as well?

I know people that dive in Chuck Taylors and they like them. I tried it, and was comfortable although stopped diving them until I could come up with a way to secure the dangling laces (and just never got around to it).

I am currently diving the DUI rock boots that came with the suit but looking to switch to neoprene boots for better flexibility in my ankles. Just waiting for when I have time to go down to my LDS with my drysuit and socks to try on some neoprene boots.

If I were buying a new drysuit, I would probably be looking at turbosoles, but at this point I don't think it is worth switching out my drysocks on the suit.

I take it you have not taken a drysuit course or found a qualified mentor.... YELLOW ALERT, footwear may be the least of your problems.

Yes you must wear footwear with the attached socks.

Rockboots, or hightop common sneakers (Chuck Taylrs etc.) may be used. I think I went with sneakers 2 sizes above normal to allow for the extra layers of socks (merino and neoprene). Rock boots have that factored into the size pretty well.

Some like the neoprene booties but they may not offer as much expansion protection as laced canvas.

I like my rockboots with merino wool socks worn over my 'street" socks both dry inside the suit.

Your choice of footwear will probably mandate new fins to fit.

Pete

I just bought a new TLS 350 with size 10 socks and rockboots. I wear the rockboots over the socks but have seen many wear Chuck Taylors with them. You probably need to look at the next size larger fin than what you would wear with neoprene booties.

I like the BARE Rock boots, they will fit over the socks but also fit in the fin without haveing to get new fins.

Dont walk around without a boot over those socks. It will put a hole in the socks. I use rockboots with my DUI. XL Jetfins with 9 rockboots. I use the same fins with my wetsuit but they are a bit loose.

My drysuit came with the Rockboots. Didn't care for them,too big and clunky. I use converse now, works for me.

You might be able to use wetsuit boots, but that could cause problems with "floaty" feet.

Note that there are 2 generation of DUI rock boots out there. The old ones were very chunky. The newer ones are more sneaker like in build. In my case the latter is on par with my seasoft stealth wet boots.

Pete

Never walk around in socks! Rock Boots restrict ankle movement. If you start working on advanced finning techniques, you want to have flexibility in the ankles. A lot of Rockboot style divers in our area are switching to "Low Cut" Chuck Taylors or wetsuit booties. You will have to go up 1 to 2 sizes to account for insulation.

I know people that dive in Chuck Taylors and they like them. I tried it, and was comfortable although stopped diving them until I could come up with a way to secure the dangling laces (and just never got around to it).

Did you change out the cotton laces with parachute cord?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom