DUI TLS vs. FLX Extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My money is going to a Black Ice. I'm picking it up in like 36 hours.....so we'll see how I like it.[/QUOTE]

I got black ice, its super warm, thick but still comfortable enough, but i need a ton of weight to get down with it

I have 2 TLS350's & will be looking at the FLX Extreme for my next suit. My instructor has both a TLS350 & a FLX Extreme. Both are custom fitted to him. He has mentioned that the TLS fits better & is a bit more streamlined, but not as durable. The FLX is definitely of stronger material, but has more drag in the water. The reason I will be looking at the FLX for my next suit is that the picnic tables at my local quarry have pokes so many holes in my suits that they are more Aquaseal than suit any more.

As for seals, I have tried both latex & silicon. The silicon seals are more comfortable, but tend to roll quite badly on me, since I have a very short neck... causing leaking. They also attract every grain of sand in FL at 1 time,... hard to keep clean. Went back tot he rubber seals.

Good question. I have a custom TLS and a custom FLX. Honestly, in water, there is not that much of a difference when diving them. You pay a little bit with flexibility for the durability of the FLX, but IMO it's worth it.

Haven't had many issues with this TLS leaking, but my first TLS leaked constantly.
It's easy to do leak tests and track down holes in either suit. Fortunately, it's rare that I have to.

The FLX is my warm water tech/cave suit. I luv it :)

Good question. I have a custom TLS and a custom FLX. Honestly, in water, there is not that much of a difference when diving them. You pay a little bit with flexibility for the durability of the FLX, but IMO it's worth it.

Haven't had many issues with this TLS leaking, but my first TLS leaked constantly.
It's easy to do leak tests and track down holes in either suit. Fortunately, it's rare that I have to.

The FLX is my warm water tech/cave suit. I luv it :)

Exactly what I was looking to read! Thanks kathydee. And I would be getting a custom FLX. Have you had any issues with your FLX? Which options did you get with yours? You can reach your valves no problem in the FLX? Someone on here said the FLX was more drag, do you find this to be true? Thank you!

Only issue I've seen, is that the thicker FLX material tends to wear a bit more between the legs if you wear a bp/w crotch strap. Especially if the strap is tight. To solve, I've been told to just put a padded sleeve over the crotch strap, although I haven't tried it.

No issues in reaching the valves but I did get a custom cut and gave myself an extra 1" in the shoulders, just in case :).

I do not notice additional drag but I also have plenty of drag with doubles and such.
I went with zips on the sleeves, regular seal on the neck as it's more comfortable when diving stages. Tech turbo boots (which have kevlar for reinforcement), Halcyon pockets, pee valve. Not sure what else.

Hope that helps.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me :).

Last edited:
Cloverleaf on the FLX is critical. Even a neoprene sleeve on the crotch strap will still cause wear.

Git dat cloverleaf.

Cloverleaf on the FLX is critical. Even a neoprene sleeve on the crotch strap will still cause wear.

Git dat cloverleaf.

With a leaf plastered over your crotch, you can finally be like all of those ancient greco-roman statues the Church defaced!

Back
Top Bottom