DUI TLS: sock & some sort of boot or turbo soles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get a pair of those triangle-shaped rubber fin-keepers (Riffe makes nice ones, better quality than Trident; $8 or $9), squirt them with some silicone spray to make them easier to don, and your Turbo soles will be locked down and never pop your fins off (you put them on over the Turbo soles, so they are inside your fins).

This is good advice for the majority of situations but again back to the fit... if the turbosoles are too big, fin keepers (alone, anyway) may not help. In my case, fin keepers made the situation worse. The only thing that worked - and I tried several - was filling the turbosole up with enough material where it wasn't ridiculously too big.

This is good advice for the majority of situations but again back to the fit... if the turbosoles are too big, fin keepers (alone, anyway) may not help. In my case, fin keepers made the situation worse. The only thing that worked - and I tried several - was filling the turbosole up with enough material where it wasn't ridiculously too big.
I found the socks I chose to wear made a difference, and still do today with my Chuck Taylors. If I don't wear enough to connect my feet to the fins properly it just doesn't feel right. Put on a 400g bootie and a really thick pair of socks and I am dialed. Plus my feet are warm!

Yes. Great point. I very much disliked the stress points around the edges of the soles. I had been waiting for mine to leak, but it was my backup suit and so never saw too much action. I especially disliked the seam stress on the heel after you install your fins, and particularly when trying to take them off--my fin straps would literally become trapped inside the seam and I would be yanking at the seam, stressing it considerably I am sure. This is where proper fit and plenty of padding is crucial--it reduces stress on all seams.

Generally speaking, my feeling is that Turbo soles are a poor and primitive design for such high-end, expensive suits. The built-in boot/sole "concept" is good. The Turbo soles are a disappointing application.

The turbo soles on my TLS leaked constantly and were a pain to repair as the leaks were usually between the sock and soles. YMMV...

Udi

The built-in boot/sole "concept" is good. The Turbo soles are a disappointing application.

I will agree with that 100%. As you stated above a few simple design changes would bring about a superior product. My thoughts are redesign the sole with contours up the side more for protection and stability, along with bonding it to the CF200 material, maybe when poured/injected?

Oh, good [sorry not good]
but, good that it is not only me that thought this after just the one dive I did

I have a large box in my hallway with an asortment of socks, turbo soles + boots for me to try and decide what I want on my feet

All great reason, above, as to why soles are better than socks
also, gret reasons, above, as to why socks are better than soles

But, what is right for me ..... ???

Yes. Great point. I very much disliked the stress points around the edges of the soles.
I especially disliked the seam stress on the heel after you install your fins, and particularly when trying to take them off--my fin straps would literally become trapped inside the seam and I would be yanking at the seam, stressing it considerably I am sure. This is where proper fit and plenty of padding is crucial--it reduces stress on all seams.

Generally speaking, my feeling is that Turbo soles are a poor and primitive design for such high-end, expensive suits. The built-in boot/sole "concept" is good. The Turbo soles are a disappointing application.

I have a TLS 350 with turbo soles and have the wiggly side to side movement with SP XX jet fins. I corrected it with $2.99 rubber shower clog's. I inserted the sole in the fin , cut the excess of that passed the end of the fin and used that to make 2 wedges pushed in far to the front of the sides. I glued all in with RTV silicone. For me it was a nice tight fit and no movement. This was done 2 weeks ago, got down to 140' no problem.

Back
Top Bottom