DUI Seals Configuration Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plenty of people locally use both the zipseals and separate dry gloves which IMO is one of the benefits to the zipseals. They have their drygloves on one ring and if they want to use wetgloves they remove the ring that has the glove on it and put on a standard seal.

I have Kubi rings. I normally have the wrist seals in place and then I can either wear wet gloves or put on my dry gloves with their Kubi rings. If I want to, I can take the wrist seals out (or dive with a ripped one) and still put on the Kubi dry gloves to stay totally dry (as long as I don't hole a glove).

I don't understand why you are implying that Zipseals are special in that regard.

I can also don my suit and get fully ready to dive with no gloves on, then put on my Kubi dry gloves last. I have not used Zipseals, but I have read or seen the DUI video that says you can't do that with Zipseal dry gloves.

I dive off the beaten path and it's nice to be able to quickly change over if a seal rips.
[snip]

I personally went with socks and boots. It's a little more of a pain, but just take a look at people's turbosoles after a year or two.

With Kubi rings and a Si Tech Quick Neck system, you can do the same thing (i.e. change seals in a couple of minutes).

I agree with prefering socks over boots. I've had 2 of each and I definitely prefer socks. In particular, I prefer my Seaskin trilam suit with compressed neoprene socks. My Waterproof trilam has non-compressed neoprene socks and I definitely do not like them as well.

good!! i was little worried that my wrist might be exposed due to short sleeve. have you tried g17k gloves with kubi? heard it's good replacement for low cost.

I use the G17K gloves with my Kubi rings. They have been holding up really well for me (got 1 year out of the first pair) and they cost $3 per pair. They are not as thick as some other gloves, but they give excellent dexterity. If I'm doing a dive where I anticipate grabbing stuff, so I'm worried about cutting or puncturing them, I'll wear some very thin work gloves over them that I got from Harbor Freight, also for really cheap. The work gloves have a mesh back and some kind of vinyl front/palm that has proven to be very durable. And, they are so thin, even with them over the G17K rubber gloves and then whatever glove liner is underneath, I still have excellent dexterity.

Ansell G17K Black Heavyweight, size 10-1/2 G17K | Zoro.com

Polyurethane Coated Nylon Work Gloves Medium

I use the latex wrist seal as a dam in case I cut a dry glove, and run a piece of string under the wrist seal. If I ever just plain slice a glove, I can remove it, pull the string, stay dry, and put what's left of the glove back on or put the Kubi ring and glove in a pocket. (Either way, the dive is over.)

I used to do something like that (to allow air flow from the suit past the wrist seal into the dry glove). I did it because I read on here about doing it.

Eventually, I did a deeper dive without anything like that and my hands felt fine. At this point, I have been to just over 200' with wrist seals in place and dry gloves on, and no anything to vent the suit into the gloves, and I have not experienced any kind of discomfort from doing so. Maybe it's because my dry gloves fit so snug? So there's just not that much air in there to give me "squeeze"? I don't know.

Just one data point.

I used to do something like that (to allow air flow from the suit past the wrist seal into the dry glove). I did it because I read on here about doing it.

Eventually, I did a deeper dive without anything like that and my hands felt fine. At this point, I have been to just over 200' with wrist seals in place and dry gloves on, and no anything to vent the suit into the gloves, and I have not experienced any kind of discomfort from doing so. Maybe it's because my dry gloves fit so snug? So there's just not that much air in there to give me "squeeze"? I don't know.

Just one data point.

Like anything else, the gas inside the gloves compresses. I find they do not insulate nearly as well, but I do a lot of cold water diving. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom