DUI RockBoots or Turbo Soles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carolina_Mike

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am ready to order a new drysuit - a DUI CLX450 (size large/zip seals/size 10 shoe), and have only tried it with RockBoots. I would appreciate one more round of the RockBoot vs Turbosole controversy. I actually found them quite compfortable (although I will have to get a second set of fins). So far, the only plus I see to the RockBoots are walking around the quarries where I train divers. What does everyone think

Well, if you're going to be walking around the quarries you have to ask yourself this ... what will I need to do when the soles wear out? How much will it cost to replace, and how long will I be without a suit?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the thought-jogger Bob. I go through at least one pair "thick-soled" wet-suit booties every year. The more I teach, the faster they go. I won't wear a dry-suit in North Carolina nearly as much as you do in the NorthWest, but the idea of sending the suit back on a regular interval doesn't sound like fun.

I would never buy separate boots....one more thing to get lost.....I think a lot of divers buy them because they think it makes them cool and they like the marketing name assigned to the product.

Carolina_Mike:
Thanks for the thought-jogger Bob. I go through at least one pair "thick-soled" wet-suit booties every year. The more I teach, the faster they go. I won't wear a dry-suit in North Carolina nearly as much as you do in the NorthWest, but the idea of sending the suit back on a regular interval doesn't sound like fun.
Another thought-jogger ... rather than DUI rock boots you could also wear wetsuit booties or Converse Chuck Taylor high-tops (lots cheaper). You just have to get a larger-than-normal size ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tried both the turbo soles and the rock boots on a training suit from my LDS. The turbo soles did not offer me the stability or lateral support for my feet/ankles. Given that my diving in New England is shore dives with ankle breaking rocks, rock boots was my ultimate decison. I have no regrets and love them!

Haven't tried turbo soles, but I can give you more to chew on about rock boots. I have a CLX450.

After about 24 shore dives, I wore out the back of my neoprene sock where it rubs against the rock boot. About once a month, I have to patch a new hole. DUI says they will look at it under warranty, but I don't want to miss out on any diving.

After about 60 shore dives, I wore a hole in the soles of my boots, and had to patch it. When they fall apart, I will get some neoprene boots per Bob's suggestion.

I originally had the rock boots (against my LDS advice at the time of ordering). I had to purchase larger fins (Turtles), and they were another piece of/pair of gear to forget. Over 100 dives with the suit later, I found I'm doing mostly boat dives, so over the winter I had Superior glue the Turbo Soles onto the socks, and wish I'd have done it sooner. If you are going to be doing mostly shore dives I'd go with the Rock Boots. If you mostly boat dive go with the Turbo Soles. Good luck with the new suit!

I guess we're all in agreement the "Achilles Heel" (pun intended) of the great suits DUI builds are the "socks". These come as size 11 with a large suit, yet I would wear a size 10 RockBoot, meaning I would have to stuff extra material into the boot with a chance of failure (a tear). This weekend I'll have a chance to try the Turbo Soles (having already tried RockBoots). I'll let you all know on this board.
Thanks for all the advice. - Mike

Carolina_Mike:
I am ready to order a new drysuit - a DUI CLX450 (size large/zip seals/size 10 shoe), and have only tried it with RockBoots. I would appreciate one more round of the RockBoot vs Turbosole controversy. I actually found them quite compfortable (although I will have to get a second set of fins). So far, the only plus I see to the RockBoots are walking around the quarries where I train divers. What does everyone think

The DUI boots are well made. They give great ankle support when walking aver rocks. Localy some of the best beach dive sites are rocky beaches with bolders and uneven footing. The DUI boots are like walking in light weight hiking boots. But you will need some XXL Jet fins or Turtles. They are nammed correctly "rock boots" are for waling and climbing on rocks.

My drysuit has custom compressed neoprene "socks" that work well enough if I'm on a boat with two steps to the ocean but for the beach it's DUI boots, big fins and spring straps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom