DUI Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey,
I asked the dealer a couple questions, and they didn't quite have the answers.

Does anyone know the difference between the "Quick Zip" Self Don design and the "Classic self Don" zipper designs?

Also, how does the "Tough Duck" overlay material compare to the cordura and nylon coverings offered? The store didn't have any samples or anything.

Finally, has anyone had experience with the "Heavy Duty" latex seals vs. their standard fare?

Thanks. I am in the process of ordering a Sig Series TLS 350.
Tom

1) The "classic" self don zipper zips down instead of up. All of the older suits WERE made this way. The "quick zip" self don is the opposite (zips up instead of down). All standard suits ARE NOW made this way.
2) The Tough Duk overlay is thicker nylon but feels more like a canvas material, and is thicker than the standard nylon on the 350's.
3) Go with the H.D. seals. The "standard" seals are paper thin.

The quick zip also wraps around the body more, which could cause a little pressure point if your're diving a BP, which might (huge might) affect the integrity of the end of the zipper.

Hi Guys,

Great questions! First and foremost, please call the DUI Customer Service Team and they'll be glad to answer all of your questions. We love to talk to divers!

The best way to reach them (especially when you have detailed answers in which one answer can create another question) is by phone at 800.325.8439 x1.

In addition to answering your questions, I encourage you to speak to other divers to see what their preferences are. For example:

The QuickZip design works better and opens larger for most divers except people with broad shoulders. Those type of divers seem to work better in the Classic Zipper.

Tough Duck - This material holds it's color much better than many of the nylons with sun exposure, but the color options are not as great. If you like red, royal blue, midnight (navy) blue, charcoal, maroon, dark purple and teal, tough duck is a great way to go.

Heavy-duty seals - They are thicker, yes, but for many people, the heavy duty seals do not seal as well. They have a higher content of clay which makes them thicker. Most divers find that the regular latex seals provide a dryer seal.

Again, please call our Team at DUI and we'll be glad to help! Now I've got to get back to work :)

Susan Long

Kudo's to the owner of DUI for Top Notch Service.....Thanks Susan for jumping in on this.

Good Diving/Hunting,

I've got a TLS Sig Series on the way. I got the quick zip, tough duck, and heavy duty wrist seals. Hey Susan, why don't you fast track mine on the assembly line so I can get some real-time feedback to the OP. It's under "Battles". Thanks! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom