DUI Polartec vs. Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
Jeff, are you agreeing with me more to be funny?
No, I actually agree with you. How scary is that? Oh and I re-watched you video Poodle jacket vs BP/W. You should repost it during the next debate, it was pretty funny.

I use a 400 wt DUI Polartech and have not been cold yet. I use it in temps from 35-55. I use it under a TLS 350. The only problem is I bought it used and they seem to run a bit small. My biggest problem is keeping the feet warm. I am sure there are other good ones out there but I am happy with what I have.

Thanks guys, perhaps I'll give the Weezle some more thought. When I'm sizing the DUI custom suit they want to know what the thickest insulation I'll use will be. Options include "DUI Thinsulate Ultra 400" and "Considerably thicker than DUI Thinsulate Ultra 400". Would you happen to know how the thickness of the Weezle compares to the Ultra 400?

KzooJason:
Thanks guys, perhaps I'll give the Weezle some more thought. When I'm sizing the DUI custom suit they want to know what the thickest insulation I'll use will be. Options include "DUI Thinsulate Ultra 400" and "Considerably thicker than DUI Thinsulate Ultra 400". Would you happen to know how the thickness of the Weezle compares to the Ultra 400?
Just size it for the DUI 400. The weezles look bigger/fluffier, but they squish down to nothing. (Way better for traveling)

3ddiver:
I use a 400 wt DUI Polartech and have not been cold yet. I use it in temps from 35-55. I use it under a TLS 350. The only problem is I bought it used and they seem to run a bit small. My biggest problem is keeping the feet warm. I am sure there are other good ones out there but I am happy with what I have.

The highest weight Polartec I can find on DUI's site is the 300. Are you using that one or is there something I'm missing - perhaps something they used to sell? I know what you mean about the foot warmth issue... mine get chilly.

I'll add (somewhat negatively, I am sorry) that I have NEVER felt "toasty" in any undergarment that I have tried in my tls350 and I have tried MANY. The fact is that when the water is cold you will get cold too, just not as quickly in some undies as you will in others and of course some people seem to be Polar Bears. My point, there are NO magic undies out there that will keep you toasty warm in COLD water for any extended amount of time. Dry suit diving is better than wet diving in colder water but I think it is a common falacy that it is MUCH warmer DURING the dive than a well fitting wet suit. Before and after the dive when the air temps are down, then yes, a dry suit is MUCH warmer than a wet suit. This is when I think a dry suit really does the trick. Good luck finding the perfect undies and let us know what you think about the weezle stuff if you try it! :wink: I am still searching :( ....JMHO's and experience for now.

"The highest weight Polartec I can find on DUI's site is the 300. Are you using that one or is there something I'm missing - perhaps something they used to sell? I know what you mean about the foot warmth issue... mine get chilly"

I am pretty sure they are 400 wt. I looked but cannot find any info on the tags. I have had them a while and it is possible they have changed the weights but I do no know for sure. Good luck on your search. Interesting idea on the toe warmers from Skynscuba, I think I will try that this winter.

scubadobadoo:
Polar Bears. My point, there are NO magic undies out there that will keep you toasty warm in COLD water for any extended amount of time. Dry suit diving is better than wet diving in colder water but I think it is a common falacy that it is MUCH warmer DURING the dive than a well fitting wet suit. Before and after the dive when the air temps are down, then yes, a dry suit is MUCH warmer than a

I'd agree that you feel the cold but it doesn't soak through to the bones like it will in a wetsuit. Dive multiple dives and you'll find there's a world of difference.

I can when the water temps are in the 36F range dive four hours on end when ALL the wetsuit divers have given up 25 to 30 minutes after the second dive. Proper undergarment selection is the key. Throw away that fleece and go with Thinsulate, it is warmer if you keep enough air in the suit to loft it. That's the key, loft that undergarment. If you squish the undergarment then you're giving up much of it's insulating qualities.

For the most part I dive a 200 gr thinsulate undergarment with a fleece thermal underwear top and bottom under it. The fleece soaks up the sweat and adds a bit of warmth. That combo is doable for a couple hours in a 36F environment. If I was to spend more time I might use my Viking Arctic Extreme undergarment which is normally way to warm for diving.

If you're diving a DUI membrane suit that's not leaking then there's no reason you can't be warmer than what you describe.

That is not to say you don't feel cold, everybody feels it in a drysuit. It just should not feel equal to a good wetsuit. Somethings wrong if it does.

I use Polypropylene thermals similar to military issue (brown color) under my DUI polartech jumpsuit with a DUI TLS350. I don't get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom