DUI Polartec vs. Others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KzooJason

Registered
Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads here about the relative merits of many drysuit undersuits. I've considered the Weezle Extreme, DUI Thinsulate, and DUI Polartec. I have a tentative plan and thought I'd post it here to see what people think.

I'm thinking of going with a DUI Polartec PowerStretch 300 jumpsuit. I'd also buy one of the 100g Stretchliners. Since they're stretch suits I think I should be able to buy a stock suit and still get a good fit. Having the 300 and the 100 would allow me to layer when I'm diving very cold water but would give me more flexibility for warmer water.

The things I'm losing appear to be the insulating when wet characteristics of thinsulate and the small packing size of the Weezle. I also loose the Pertex covering for spray/rain but I'm not terribly concerned about that.

What do you think - anyone doing something similar? Is it a decent plan or would you recommend doing something else?

Background information - I get cold easily, most of my diving is in 40-65 degree water, and I'm purchasing a TLS 350 Special Production suit.

Thanks,
Jason

Kzoo, any thoughs on what you would recommend just on the kind of drysuit itself? Im going from wet to dry and have dove the older DUI. Just curious to know what some thing that are diving dry now.

This is a difficult topic to address because it is purely a personal choice of comfort and thermal charateristics. I have layered DUI's 300 and 150 undergarments and was not content with them. I also tried DUI's 400G and still got chilled in 55 degree water.

In fact I have been through my fair share of trials and tribulations of undergarments this year and currently sticking with my Weezle Extreme+ and the Weezle skin. I require less weight than any other combinations of DUI undergarments and its warmer and more comfortable to me.

I still own the Actionwear 150 and recently the Stretchliner 100, but those are going to only be used in warm water diving. Anything colder than 70 degrees and I'll be in the Weezle Extreme+.

I dive a stock Large DUI TLS350.

And as always, someone..probably today will tell you how Weezle stinks and the DUI's product is the way to go.....if you can try em out and see for yourself that is the best way.

J

Similar to Jason, I have tried DUI400 gm undies and now have switched to Weezle Extreme +. Now, I was never cold in my 400 undies (and I used them for Ice diving), but I find that the weezle's give me better mobility.

does weezle offer custom made? I assume ythey do...I'm tall and skinny with long arms and from what I see in their standard listing all are to short in some areas.

jdelprete:
Kzoo, any thoughs on what you would recommend just on the kind of drysuit itself? Im going from wet to dry and have dove the older DUI. Just curious to know what some thing that are diving dry now.

Personally I'm going with a custom DUI TLS350. I decided on a shell trilam for a variety of reasons and I really like the TLS350 I've tried. I considered the Pinnacle Evolution 2 but since they don't do custom sizing I opted for the DUI.

For Weezle owners - do you find that keeping the insulation lofted requires quite a bit of air? I've heard it requires a fair bit more than thinsulate or polartec. Any Polartec Powerstretch owners out there?

Jason,

I dont add anymore air in my suit than I did with the Polartec or Thinsulate undies. There is a lot of garbage/myth on the net about the Weezle undergarments, IMNSHO this is one of them. :)

jepuskar:
Jason,

I dont add anymore air in my suit than I did with the Polartec or Thinsulate undies. There is a lot of garbage/myth on the net about the Weezle undergarments, IMNSHO this is one of them. :)
I really didn't notice any difference either. If there is a difference, its pretty subtle.

What I do notice is with the Weezle I can descend a little more without adding air to the suit and the squeeze is not as bad as other undies....obviously at this point I start adding air though....certainly not a selling point, but just a little info.

Jeff, are you agreeing with me more to be funny?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom