DUI FLEX 50/50 vs TLS350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTDivers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow divers,

Looking into the purchase of my first dry-suit. After looking into the different MFG's out there it looks like I am zeroing in on the DUI line. I know that they are on the upper end of the price scale, however I find myself going back to the line time and time again. What I am looking for is some input from owners of bother systems, the FLEX 50/50 and TLS 350 signature series. I like features of both suits but have the resources form only one. I like the light weight features of the TLS350 S.S. but like the near bomb proof design of the FLEX 50/50 S.S.

Could anyone share their experiences with these suits, the good and bad.... I would like to have as much information possible before making the final decision. Thanks

Hi, I have a TLS 350 (trilaminate) and a CF200x (compressed neoprene), I cannot say much about the Flex 50/50, but I am very satisfyed with the TLS350 and would recommend it.

By their description in DUI's website, between the 2 of them (FLX50/50 and TLS 350), I would go for the TLS anyway because I understand that the lower part of the FLX is the same as the CF and the upper part the same as the TLS, but usually the upper part is more sensible to the temperature than the legs (at least for me), so if I need more insulation I would go for the CF, to use trilaminate in the upper part better to have it in all the suit and be more confortable.

The only drawback of DUI drysuits (all of them) for me is the wrist and neck seals, too fragile, I had to change mine a number of times in 5 years using DUI, and in mypersonal opinion, turbo soles are muck better then rocky boot.

I own a FLX50/50 and I want a TLS350. :D

The 50/50 has been a great suit, but the bottom half takes a lifetime to dry, and it's a lot heavier, and it's also more buoyant than the 350.

I agree the rock boots SUCK... I'd go with turbo soles.

Hi,
Oh boy, picking out a dry suit will make your eyes roll back in your head (after it catches fire and explode!!) So I'm kindly going to throw gas on the fire and ask even more questions (any and all thoughts totally welcome) I'm looking at a TLS350 (DUI has a great rep but I hear various comments about the front self donning zipper, positive and negative). I know that DUI is a great suit, and I know that DUI really stands behind them - Spendy but worth it, as I tripple dog HATE being ccccold! (Puget Sound isn't known for tropical breezes (rain yes, breezes - not so much.

So next on my short list - the High Tide, made right up here in Port Orchard Washington.
dub dub dub dot hightidedrysuits.com High Tide, although much smaller than DUI seems to have a solid reputation for quality. Eric makes each suit custom, from a very high quality neoprene. He seems to have taken neoprene suits to an art. I would love to hear from anyone who has High Tide. Eric throws in the kitchen sink, including nice warm fleece jammies with Sponge Bob appliques (well ok no Sponge Bob appliques :) - but everything is included, none the less. Spendy but worth it

and finally, on my short list (a weak third) is the Apollo. The thing that seems very attractive is the ankle valves - no one else seems to have them. Its less money than either DUI or High Tide, but its not the money that has them on my short list (about 500 bucks cheaper, retail), but rather the ankle valves - they can be set to auto-vent or manual.

The water temp in the sound is between 48 and a balmy 50 degrees.

The best thing would be to be able to try each one out, but in general, the only ones that are rented out are DUI (Is that saying something?) The High Tide is custom made for you exactly (back zipper BTW) And I'm not sure how the Apollo would hold up - its a neoprene suit, but I think its a "sport grade" material, not as high a grade as Eric uses in his High Tides - and it may crush and not recover. I dunno

Thanks so much for any and all thoughts!
Cindy

Hi,
Oh boy, picking out a dry suit will make your eyes roll back in your head (after it catches fire and explode!!) So I'm kindly going to throw gas on the fire and ask even more questions (any and all thoughts totally welcome) I'm looking at a TLS350 (DUI has a great rep but I hear various comments about the front self donning zipper, positive and negative). I know that DUI is a great suit, and I know that DUI really stands behind them - Spendy but worth it, as I tripple dog HATE being ccccold! (Puget Sound isn't known for tropical breezes (rain yes, breezes - not so much.

So next on my short list - the High Tide, made right up here in Port Orchard Washington.
dub dub dub dot hightidedrysuits.com High Tide, although much smaller than DUI seems to have a solid reputation for quality. Eric makes each suit custom, from a very high quality neoprene. He seems to have taken neoprene suits to an art. I would love to hear from anyone who has High Tide. Eric throws in the kitchen sink, including nice warm fleece jammies with Sponge Bob appliques (well ok no Sponge Bob appliques :) - but everything is included, none the less. Spendy but worth it

and finally, on my short list (a weak third) is the Apollo. The thing that seems very attractive is the ankle valves - no one else seems to have them. Its less money than either DUI or High Tide, but its not the money that has them on my short list (about 500 bucks cheaper, retail), but rather the ankle valves - they can be set to auto-vent or manual.

The water temp in the sound is between 48 and a balmy 50 degrees.

The best thing would be to be able to try each one out, but in general, the only ones that are rented out are DUI (Is that saying something?) The High Tide is custom made for you exactly (back zipper BTW) And I'm not sure how the Apollo would hold up - its a neoprene suit, but I think its a "sport grade" material, not as high a grade as Eric uses in his High Tides - and it may crush and not recover. I dunno

I was thinking about going 5mm wet suit, and then use a hooded vest to put more insulation over the core, but I think I'll still freeze my tush - so I would rather just go dry and be done with it.

I know that buying gear before I'm certified is a little odd, but its kind of the way I am. I'll be doing my open water cert dive(s) in Puget sound and the thought of shivvering my way through them (I don't have much extra meat on my bones, as I'm a dancer) does not appeal to me, thus,taking the extra dives for dry suit training right away. If I'm shivvering and miserable it really takes away from the experience.

Thanks so much for any and all thoughts!
Cindy

Last edited:
I have a new TLS350 and like it a lot. Two things kept the price from being too outrageous for me--I'm a standard size M and my local dealer. I have the Classic zipper, Zip seals on the wrists only(I'm thin and the neck Zip seal lies right under the shoulder straps of my BP), Turbo soles, P-valve, and the large Halcyon pockets. That being said, you should also look into the White's Fusion--they're becoming more and more popular. Send a message to TSandM--she loves hers.

I Just replaced my TLS 350 with a flex 50/50 and I'll agree the 350 felt lighter, and dries extremely fast. If I didn't use the suit as much as I do I wouldn't have switched to the 50/50. but for durability you can't beat the 50/50.

Wanna buy a used TLS 350?

Wanna buy a used TLS 350?

Hi... i'm interested in buying a used TLS 350 if it will fit me and my budget. How much are you selling it for? and what size is it? I am 5ft tall 125lbs, do you think that will fit me?

Thanks,
Cindy

Hi. I was looking at those 2 suits myself and I also checked into a Diving Concepts Z-flex which is very similar to the TLS in construction but has better quality neck and wrist seal (Thicker but softer Latex). It is made in the USA and comes with Apex valves but it is a few hundred dollars cheaper than a DUI. I tried them all and wound up with the DCI. Great value and a rugged comfortable suit.

There are a few things you want to look at:

Where are you diving? CA, Any DUI suit will be fine, as will any Diving Concepts suit.

If you're planning on cave diving, the TLS is lighter and dries faster, but is it as durable as a clx or 50/50 or 200? No, but it doesn't need to be.

If you're wreck diving, something a little tougher is good.

Dry Time?

Rock Boots vs. Turbo Sole?

I have a few DC suits (including the Z Tech and Z Flex) on special right now, PM me and we can discuss options and pricing.

Of course, DUI, I know those suits better than most too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom