dui exhaust valve leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife's drysuit has started leaking from the exhaust valve (3 dives in a row now) enough to soak her left arm. It's had about 20-25 dives on it until then without problems. I'm posting because I've read reference to both problems with this particular valve (Apeks low-profile) and also references to cleaning them out.

We have a trip coming up and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to clean the valve out and hopefully get it to stop leaking. Specifically, I'd like to know how to open it and where/how to clean etc...

rhlee:
My wife's drysuit has started leaking from the exhaust valve (3 dives in a row now) enough to soak her left arm. It's had about 20-25 dives on it until then without problems. I'm posting because I've read reference to both problems with this particular valve (Apeks low-profile) and also references to cleaning them out.

We have a trip coming up and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to clean the valve out and hopefully get it to stop leaking. Specifically, I'd like to know how to open it and where/how to clean etc...

You *do* know what DUI stands for, don't you?

(D)ry
(U)until
(I)mmersed

The whole world knows this.

Basically, you've paid a gazillion pesos for a dry suit that only stays dry until you walk out the door of the shop where you bought it.

Fact is, in terms of quality, you're better off buying any other brand........

The only thing I can suggest is to buy 26 bicycle repair kits with the DUI stamp on them and hope that it's enough.....

R..

Everyone I know has had the same problem with the low profile Apeks valve and replaced it with a high profile valve such as Si-Tech.

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem until I started dialing back the exhaust just a little. It seems that if I opened it up all the way it leaked. If I dialed it back just a little, it did not. funny....

Both my wife's and my original low profile valves leaked (suits 2 yrs old now) but now they are fine after DUI replaced them. DUI replaced them with the same low profile stlye valves as before but they said they had been redesigned to not leak. Now there's a nifty idea, lol. So far, so good for a year. If she bought the suit off the rack and it had been there for a while, it is possible she got one fo the problematic valves. She may also just have something stuck in there or god knows what really. Leaky dry suits can be a real pain to troubleshoot and fix. Very problematic, like the noise only you hear and not the mechanic when you drive your car.

jumsted65:
Everyone I know has had the same problem with the low profile Apeks valve and replaced it with a high profile valve such as Si-Tech.

Hope this helps.

I've had a CF200 w/Apex valve for three years now; no leakage from the valve. The only leak I've had was from seals starting to crack.

Diver0001:
You *do* know what DUI stands for, don't you?

(D)ry
(U)until
(I)mmersed

The whole world knows this.

Basically, you've paid a gazillion pesos for a dry suit that only stays dry until you walk out the door of the shop where you bought it.

Fact is, in terms of quality, you're better off buying any other brand........

The only thing I can suggest is to buy 26 bicycle repair kits with the DUI stamp on them and hope that it's enough.....

R..

You forgot

(T)otal
(L)eakage
(S)ystem

I've had problems with drysuits leaking around the valve(including a DUI TLS),more commonly from neoprene,but the solution was putting GE Silicone II on the seating surface and threads of the valve. I also had valves fail over time,last valve I had to replace was on a DUI suit,and replaced it with a Sitek. I would recommend Gamblescuba.com for a good price on replacement valves,or repair work itself.

On my current (CXL 450) and former (CF200) DUI Drysuits, I find two things that work to keep the valve from leaking.

I spray the valve with fresh water (most of my dives are salt water) after each dive and I dial the valve back about 2 "clicks".

These two measures seem to keep the valve from leaking.

Mike...

A few bitter fomer DUI owners, or just internet drysuit divers in this thread I see.

After having owned no less than 5 DUI drysuits in the last 4 years, I have to say I have had ZERO problems with them. The only exception has been my wife's exhause valve.

Its the first generation low profile. You can see by looking into it - there is a gray ring. The new ones are all black.

SOME (not all) of those leak a bit if you go in and descent with it cranked fully open. This weekend we were diving, and she was coming up with a damp shoulder. I reminded her NOT fully purge (all vacuum style) before the dive, and to crank it down a bit on the entry and descent.

Once at depth, open it back up a bit.

She did, and did 6 perfectly dry dives after that.

Each of my DUI suits have been worth every "peso".... excellent quality, perfect customer service, and quite dry.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom