DUI exhaust valve leaking or ....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the CLX450 and had DUI install the Si-Tech valve, my husband also has a CLX450 and has the second generation low profile apeks valve and his left arm is always soaked. (He is currently boxing it up for DUI to replace the valve with a Si-tech). His arm seams to get wetter and wetter on each dive alomost like it is leaking more.

They (DUI) used to use my valves, right after they quit using their own (which turned out to be problematic and resulted in a recall. Funny, he says I'm out of business in his book.)

I still make the same valve, and I still believe they are among the safest, driest and fastest venting ...although they are not automatic (and not as tiny.) I make them in Washington state, and make the injection molds in house.

The automatic valves edged me out of the market place some time ago and are now on the suits which my valve was once on. Do you folks want it back? The buttons protruded enough to operate with arms or hands full --so a diver could press whatever against them to actuate them (either of them.) These other brand smaller more complicated automatic valves have smaller flaps thus they also vent slower ...and to me this seems safety is taking a back seat to bells and whistles.

I will tell you honestly that it is difficult to compete with off shore production and that cost coupled with the word automatic has made life real interesting for me (polite sarcasm here.)

Expect to see a new old valve returning to the market soon. I think I may have a solution just about completed which will be the best of both worlds, and when done: I will present it to the suit makers so they may include it (or not) with their suits. Until I read this post, I was not aware of the problem you divers are having with these valves. I mean I had guessed they were slow and the commercial guys were telling me they didn't like them because they didn't want a valve to automatically vent (and were too slow), but I didn't know about the leaking and the perception of poor quality I am just now seeing here. I have never dove these other valves, just my own.

...Now I'm all jived up (coffee helps) and excited about finishing this new valve project. Give me a little time as I just got an order for 20 book form molds from a dear old customer, but as soon as they're done I'll finish the last mold (almost done) and get some out to the suit makers for testing and evaluation. I don't expect to be able to match my competition's low price but if you the diving community will support it I'll do my best to provide you with a product which actually works the way you want it to.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom