DUI, Andy's, BARE, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm...very interesting. Thanks guys, I think I'll look into the 5thD suits then. Any idea what they run? I didn't see any prices listed on their website.

Both suits are great. Whatever you do in your decision, don't buy a drysuit from a "Wetsuit" company that makes drysuits. Andys and DUI are great great suits.

No sock puppet. Changed my name in HIGH HOPES the bengals go to the playoffs for the first time in 13 yrs. There 1-0 so far...

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Were the seams end, the ability to reach your valves (very hard to do in a CLX450).

ERic

I have CLx-450 and I don't have trouble reaching anything. As with any exposure suit, FIT IS Paramount ..........Arduous

GP once bubbled...

Is the DS3 comparable to the DUI TLS 350? How much less $$ are the Andy's. I've sort of been thinking of getting a drysuit sometime over the next year and I'm kinda leaning towards the DUI TLS 350. I really like the CLX450 but it's a little more than I want to spend.

I'm sorry to admit that I don't honestly remember which DUI model I was considering. I do remember that I spent about $1,400 for the suit, plus something extra for the 200 gram underwear.

The few people I know that have the 450 all feel that they are like straight jackets (two were customs). I think it is the combination of the material and the way the seams meet at the arms.

Eric

After checking out the 5th D suits I'm kinda hopin' to get one of those now. They look sweet!

Hey folks,

I'll try posting here and if that doesn't work will start my own thread -- I hope I'm not derailing the discussion but this seems apropos. So: I decided that water is too d**n cold, and after having to call several dives on the close side of hypothermia, I need to buy drysuit or find a different hobby :wink: Unfortunately, given where I live (Madison, WI), there is really only one LDS (Diversions Scuba -- www.diversions-scuba.com) that does anything more than wet rec diving. They seem to be decent folks, but I've only dived with them a handful of times. The unfortunate news is that this store doesn't carry a large range of drysuit rental units, so the selection of suits that I can try on beforehand is very limited. I could always drive to another store (Milwaukee maybe?) but I'm not even sure which store to even start at.

I'm signed up for a drysuit class through Diversions in two weeks; I'll be wearing one of their full neoprene rentals, so I'll have at least that experience. I do seem to remember some sort of shell drysuit hanging in the store, but I don't remember the brand.

Financially, I can spend $1000 easily, $1500 is a OK, and $2000 is doable but harder. More than $2000 would have to be a fantastic drysuit that I was convinced would last the better part of a decade. Oh, and spending less money is always nice :D

As for my goals, well, I got certified (only three months ago) in a shop that is totally wet PADI rec diving. I'm set to purchase a backplate and wings soon; I hope to take a DIRF class and maybe even Tech1 by next year's diving season. I'd like this drysuit to work well for the previous and to keep me warm on charters out of Milwuakee into Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes in general.

Complicating this decision is the fact that the woman who runs Diversions told me that she could probably get me a Viking Pro in my size for $1300 -- roughly $1k less than normal -- because the colours bled so it is considered damaged goods; it is, in every other way, brand new. Now, people seem to have complaints about vulcanized rubber specifically WRT flexibility; however, it does seem that this is a better drysuit than anything else available in the $1300 price range.

Any advice you folks can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-earl-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom