DUI, Andy's, BARE, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Our instructor tells us that he thinks that Andy's drysuits are about the best, vs. DUI, BARE, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi,

Was in the dive shop of competitor to buy my Dui weight harness and checked out the price fo their suit compared to Andys. I found that they were $800.00 more for same style (2100.00).
It also takes ten days for shipping from SanDiego for Dui and Andys are in Maryland. I"ve compared the two upclose and really find not much difference in materials. I've also compared Andys with Diverite and the only diff. was the name on the inflator valve. I was not impressed with the Whites system in the store. It really comes down to maybe where you live and the name you want because they will do what they advertise, keep you dry.

chuckrt

Drysuits are like any other piece of equipment: a lot has to do with personal preference.

I'm a DUI fan, others are into Abyss. Or Whites. Or Andys. Or Mobys... ad infinitim.

In the end, you look at your budget and the features you want. Then you decide.

~SubMariner~

I dive an Andy's DS3 with the intermediate weight fabric.

I like it.

My two primary dive buddies have had their Andy's suits for about 5 years. They are getting a little worn cosmetically, but appear in generally good shape. Neither leaks, the zippers are fine and they are comfortable. None of us regret our purchases.

That said, UP is probably right. The DUI's are very, very nice and probably will outlast an Andy's.

However, my Andy's cost much less than DUI's comparable product.

Most of the guys and gals in my club have Andy's DS3s and they are happy with them...I tried one on and it seemed fine. They are close to me (MD) and they are reasonably priced.

I will probably get one in a couple months unless I get talked into the DUI.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I dive an Andy's DS3 with the intermediate weight fabric.

However, my Andy's cost much less than DUI's comparable product.
Is the DS3 comparable to the DUI TLS 350? How much less $$ are the Andy's. I've sort of been thinking of getting a drysuit sometime over the next year and I'm kinda leaning towards the DUI TLS 350. I really like the CLX450 but it's a little more than I want to spend.

...but, I was told full Andy's setup with suspenders, pockets, and all the options WITH undergarments will run a touch under $2k.

I couldn't wait because what I wanted was still a few months from reality... so I bought the DUI CF200...

But what I really wanted (and unfortunately the CF200 wears like iron) was the new suit designed by 5thD and manufactured for them under the 5thD label by Andy's.

It has the diagonal across the chest zipper but shorter so that it won't fold at the waist and break over time.

It has slightly longer sleeves to make valve drills easier.

It has a wrist (forearm) dump instead of shoulder.

It has the correct DIR pockets.

It is available now... that I have a CF200 :)()

And it has the other standard features that make Andy's suits so great... crotch and under arm panels, quality workmanship, choice of materials & boots.

I have a CF 200, were I do it again - I would go with the 5thD or Andys suit. DUI makes a good suit, but not a great suit. Andy's has a lot of the little details worked out. Were the seams end, the ability to reach your valves (very hard to do in a CLX450). Is there one suit that is perfect, no. are there suits better than others, yes - Good luck in suit hunting.

ERic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom