Dual function-Dual Helms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have a dual inboard boat. The control is dual function, one lever controls transmission and throttle. -two engines-two levers- I am in the process of putting a tuna tower on it. This will require another set of controls.

From what I've been reading, dual stations have to use single function controls. One lever for throttle, one lever for shift, two engines, four levers for each station.

Can a dual function control be used with some kind of modification for dual stations.

I've looked at hydraulic$ and electronic control$$$-yipes

Go hydraulic. It is the best and most reliable. Putting hydraulic steering on my boat was the one of the best mods I have ever made. It is worth every penny.

Don't pay retail. I found some folks on ebay that were selling new systems for a good price. I saved about $300 over retail.

Good luck

I'd planned to go with hydraulic steering, it does look like the way to go. It's the throttles and shifters that are giving me a headache. Hydraulic steering is reasonable, hydraulic controls get into some bucks.

I like a throttle for each engine. One of the boats I drove in Hawaii had four engines - four screws. I liked the four throttles when I ran through the narrow channel in the reef.
If you're going to keep the boat, and I have no idea what you're driving, look at Mathers controls. Pricey but pretty smooth.

If you're going to keep the boat, and I have no idea what you're driving, look at Mathers controls. Pricey but pretty smooth

Whole different ball game, we're talking budget boating.

$10k for a 25' 74 chris craft open tournament solid hull with rebuilt 4 cyl engines, one rebuilt I'm stupid, one new I'm stupid-all new wiring-all new running gear
$1k for a tuna tower
$1k for a trailer to bring the tower down from new york and haul it around while I take it back and forth to the weld shop modifying it

6.7k for electronic controls
http://seatechmarineproducts.com/17...mander.Engine.control.Two.Station.Twin.Engine

3.5k for hydraulics

nah, there has to be a cheaper way to get one lever for each engine throttle/shift on two stations.

Ropes and pulleys to the lower station, rods and hoseclamps, engine telegraph..........

Hi Dennis,
I am the owner of the site that you linked to, while doing a search for our business name.
I found your link, it peaked my interest so I followed it.
Well, any how... I wanted to add to this discussion.
There are two Hydraulic system available know, Hynautic and Marol Marine.
The Hynautic uses Ethylene Glycol-Distilled water 50/50 mix. The Marol uses ISO #3 spindle oil. The Marol is my preference in hydraulic controls.
We have several Electronic systems for Twin engine-Two station.
With the Micro commander the price changes with control head selection. You quoted a link that the control head alone is approx $900. ZF, who owns the micro commander line of controls also, has a control head for about $450.
We also sell Morse Ke4 Electronic control system, if you are interested... I have a demo in the store that I can maybe give you a quote on, somewhere around 3.5K and you will need to by interconnect cables and control cables. If you are interested, please e-mail me or call me at 866-456-1379.
By the way..I am also qualified to discuss virtually anything about Diving as well.
I became an OWSI in 1984 and have certified divers from the age of 8 - 80. I have been to The Red Sea, Mallorca Spain, Australia, Philippines, Mombasa, Hawaii, BVI, Cayman, Cozumel, Cortez, The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa NM and of course San Diego.

Kindest regards,
Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom