DST XTX50 vs MK25 G260

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks has been having a problem with hp seats blowing. Just do a search and it will turn up.
Please elaborate. Apparently I'm not good at searching.

Please elaborate. Apparently I'm not good at searching.

OK. Over the past 2 years, a large number of HP seats in Apeks first stages have failed. This results in the intermediate pressure going well above what it should. Frequently results in second stages that free flow. I've personally had four. All different regs, but all relatively new at the time. A CCR reseller had an HP seat in an oxygen reg blow, it melted a delrin mav. Randy Thornton

A CCR reseller had an HP seat in an oxygen reg blow, it melted a delrin mav.
As the CCR diver who had the mishap acknowledged, the explosion was from lack of maintenance. To me that means likely hydrocarbon residue in a pressurized pure oxygen line. So let's not suggest that Apeks caused an explosion.
As that reporter acknowledged, he had removed his OPV, because his O2 first stage was leaking.
Well, hello? :facepalm:

That this would happen to someone as experienced at this particular diver suggests that everyone needs to either 1) follow preventative maintenance checks religiously (which he clearly did not), or 2) know more about how regulators work (how could someone who dives CCR's not understand the significance of a first stage leak on an oxygen line?).

So my takeaway is that EVERYONE on ScubaBoard should read and follow @couv 's Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

This is not to condone whatever problem Apeks might be having with their HP seats. It's merely to say that if this diver had popped an IP gauge on his first stage regularly, he would have fixed that problem immediately. And that several other divers in the area had ALSO removed OPVs due to oxygen first stage leaking suggests that there may be a common problem to Apeks and/or other mfrs with regard to high pressure oxygen and seat failure, perhaps due to oxidative stress on the HP seat?

But, make no mistake, it was complacency that caused this explosion. The IP creep long predated the incident. Sorry for derailing this thread!

Over the past 2 years, a large number of HP seats in Apeks first stages have failed. This results in the intermediate pressure going well above what it should. Frequently results in second stages that free flow. I've personally had four.

Wow, @kensuf ! FOUR seat leaks! This clearly deserves follow-up. But I have to ask: since this particular seat design is common to a lot of diaphragm first stages, there are quite a few aftermarket vendors, and presumably several manufacturers. So my question is, "Were these all Apeks seats, or could some have been aftermarket?" I guess the more delicate question is, could your LDS be saving a few dollars on parts by using standard o-rings (like all us DIY guys do), with aftermarket seats?

My IP gauge tells me to service Zeagle and HOG 1st stages @ 3 to 4 years. How often are recent Apeks 1st stages requiring service due to IP creep.

Back
Top Bottom