DSS Torus 26 and OxyCheq Mach V wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Im looking at both of these wings, I will only be diving singles. I am looking for streamlining. I have read many things about how great the Oxycheq Mach V 30lb is but can find no reports on the DSS Torus 26 wing. they both look like nice wings.

Does anyone know how the DSS compares in size, quality, performance etc... thanks

No reports on the DSS Torus 26???? There is a whole DSS (Deep Sea Supply) forum! Anyway. I can not comment on how they compare as I do not have a Mach V, but I do have the DSS Torus 26 and love it! Tough, low profile, well made, I have had no problem with it at all.

buddahsummer:
Im looking at both of these wings, I will only be diving singles. I am looking for streamlining. I have read many things about how great the Oxycheq Mach V 30lb is but can find no reports on the DSS Torus 26 wing. they both look like nice wings.

Does anyone know how the DSS compares in size, quality, performance etc... thanks.

Hey buddhasummer

I dive in SoCal - a dry suit and an HP130 tank. I'm not a tall guy (5'8") so I wanted something that would help me trim out that long tank.

I was diving a Halcyon Pioneer 36# wing. A fine wing, but with the placement of its air cell I found I was working harder to not drop my feet - as I was basically butt heavy.

I called Tobin and we talked about how I dive, my build, the tank I'm using, dry or wet, weighting - all great questions I had never considered when buying my first wing.

Upon his recommendations I went with the Torus 26. That wing is longer and narrower than the wing I was using. Plus it shifted the air cell from my shoulders back a bit to help lift the longer tank.

For the longest time I'd been eye-ing the DSS plate. I started with a Halcyon plate, but moved to another brand of weighted plate so I could move some ballast where it belonged. I like the DSS plate weight concept, and I love that it takes all of a couple of seconds to peel the DSS wing from their plate (it always made me nervous, tossing a heavy plate into my dive bag or bin in the car with the wing still attached.)

I ended up buying both - the DSS plate, weight plates and Torus 26. I was really pleased the first time I had it in the water - it was stable, much more streamline than my last wing (the 36 pounder) and was much easier to push through the water. At the end of the dive I just separated the wing from the plate and tossed them into my bin for the drive home.

There are lots of things I love about the rig - the closer fitting backplate, the ease of set up and take down, the air cell located over the heavy part of the tank, etc. One of the best things was I could pick up the phone and call the guy who makes the stuff.

I have since purchased a DSS rig for my dubs, and another singles rig for my wife.

We love the stuff. I think you can't go wrong with it. Solid, built to last (I'm doing about 270 dives a year on it) and its the perfect single tank set up.

---
Ken

Hey buddhasummer

I dive in SoCal - a dry suit and an HP130 tank. I'm not a tall guy (5'8") so I wanted something that would help me trim out that long tank.

I was diving a Halcyon Pioneer 36# wing. A fine wing, but with the placement of its air cell I found I was working harder to not drop my feet - as I was basically butt heavy.

I called Tobin and we talked about how I dive, my build, the tank I'm using, dry or wet, weighting - all great questions I had never considered when buying my first wing.

Upon his recommendations I went with the Torus 26. That wing is longer and narrower than the wing I was using. Plus it shifted the air cell from my shoulders back a bit to help lift the longer tank.

For the longest time I'd been eye-ing the DSS plate. I started with a Halcyon plate, but moved to another brand of weighted plate so I could move some ballast where it belonged. I like the DSS plate weight concept, and I love that it takes all of a couple of seconds to peel the DSS wing from their plate (it always made me nervous, tossing a heavy plate into my dive bag or bin in the car with the wing still attached.)

I ended up buying both - the DSS plate, weight plates and Torus 26. I was really pleased the first time I had it in the water - it was stable, much more streamline than my last wing (the 36 pounder) and was much easier to push through the water. At the end of the dive I just separated the wing from the plate and tossed them into my bin for the drive home.

There are lots of things I love about the rig - the closer fitting backplate, the ease of set up and take down, the air cell located over the heavy part of the tank, etc. One of the best things was I could pick up the phone and call the guy who makes the stuff.

I have since purchased a DSS rig for my dubs, and another singles rig for my wife.

We love the stuff. I think you can't go wrong with it. Solid, built to last (I'm doing about 270 dives a year on it) and its the perfect single tank set up.

---
Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that in depth reply based on your experience, very helpful cheers...:)

No reports on the DSS Torus 26???? There is a whole DSS (Deep Sea Supply) forum! Anyway. I can not comment on how they compare as I do not have a Mach V, but I do have the DSS Torus 26 and love it! Tough, low profile, well made, I have had no problem with it at all.

??????!!!!!!!!!:wink:

I did check out the DSS forum but only found info in regards to set up and not answers to the ?s in my post. Anyway Thanks for your reply you sound like a happy camper with the Torus 26 sounds like a great wing.:)

I have dived both, I have the Torus, then got mine hands on a Mach V after the first dive I knew the Torus was for me. I found Torus was slightly longer and thinner than the Mach V, and when fully inflated the Mach V pushed on my lower back, I know you don't fully inflate often, but its something I noticed.

aside from that, Tobin's service rocks and the DSS plate is also a very nice piece of kit.

Brendan

I only have about 5 dives on my complete DSS setup with torus 26, but so far i love it! i 2nd the breakdown after the dive, its great to separate the wing from the plate so as not to damage the wing. 2 cam bands is fantastic as well. Still trying to get used to the dump and the short inflator, but i'm slowly liking it more and more. I hated the jacket when getting my OW and AOW and love the low profile of BP & W. I dont at all regret going with DSS. Do it and you'll be very happy

Back
Top Bottom