DSS not taking orders, alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Argonaut package with a 35# wing and SS plate for $325 seems like a good deal.

Store | Vintage Double Hose

But, I would still buy my own harness bits rather than any pre-packaged deal.

Does it seem odd to anyone (besides me of course) that a company would completely shut down for at least 6 months due to a relocation?

DSS has always made a considerable effort, and taken pride in our fast service and high "in stock" % of nearly all sku's. I'd rather shut down than disappoint people.

Moving to another state is not a trivial task. Many unknowns and many possible delays.

From my view point it's far more customer centric to decline sales than to accept them and screw up.

Tobin

Moving to another state is not a trivial task.

I get that packing up a warehouse, loading everything into trucks, driving 100s of miles and unpacking everything can take some time.

But 6 months or longer?

They don't seem to even know when they'll be back in business.

Why not ship stuff to the new place as the old stuff is packed up so there's minimal down time?

Why not ship stuff to the new place as the old stuff is packed up so there's minimal down time?

Takes time to setup a new warehouse. Have to packup and move all the items from the old warehouse, then take down all the shelving from the old, move to the new, setup and restock all the items they carry...just a few examples. It is not easy as you may think.

Yeah, I am in no way criticizing Tobin's strategy to shut down sales. I was just bummed such a great local resource was leaving the state, but given how anti-business the laws in CA are, I am not surprised to see yet another business leave the state for one thats far friendlier to small/medium businesses.

I am sure this wont be my last rig, and when I am ready for another Ill still be calling you, and hopefully youll be set up and doing even better in your new location by then. best of luck with your move.

I get that packing up a warehouse, loading everything into trucks, driving 100s of miles and unpacking everything can take some time.

But 6 months or longer?

They don't seem to even know when they'll be back in business.

I'd suggest *you* can do whatever suits *you* when you move your business. Your comments suggest you have no idea what is involved relocating *my* operation. Shelving and stock is about 5% of the problem. ~200,000 lbs of manufacturing equipment is a bit more involved. (Bekins doesn't move 15,000 lbs machines, or disconnect them from the power, compressed air, and maybe drains. They don't rig them into position, precision level, or run the required utilities either.) Problems abound, not the least of which is getting the local power utility to perform and furnish new 600 amp primary power service. BTW that service requires 1/4 mile of trenching, and the purchase and installation of my own transformer. I've even had to repower my water jet pump with a diesel engine in lieu of the 100 hp 480 volt 3 phase motor in it now.

I fully expect at a minimum 20 round trips (~900 miles each) with a one ton truck pulling a 25,000 gooseneck trailer. + 2-3 Semi's at ~40000lbs each too. Of course doing so requires a *big* forklift truck on each end and somebody qualified to operate it.

Oh, and of course in addition to the business I have a household to relocate too.

Tobin

I'd suggest *you* can do whatever suits *you* when you move your business. Your comments suggest you have no idea what is involved relocating *my* operation. Shelving and stock is about 5% of the problem. ~200,000 lbs of manufacturing equipment is a bit more involved. (Bekins doesn't move 15,000 lbs machines, or disconnect them from the power, compressed air, and maybe drains. They don't rig them into position, precision level, or run the required utilities either.) Problems abound, not the least of which is getting the local power utility to perform and furnish new 600 amp primary power service. BTW that service requires 1/4 mile of trenching, and the purchase and installation of my own transformer. I've even had to repower my water jet pump with a diesel engine in lieu of the 100 hp 480 volt 3 phase motor in it now.

I fully expect at a minimum 20 round trips (~900 miles each) with a one ton truck pulling a 25,000 gooseneck trailer. + 2-3 Semi's at ~40000lbs each too. Of course doing so requires a *big* forklift truck on each end and somebody qualified to operate it.

Oh, and of course in addition to the business I have a household to relocate too.

Tobin
Well, we'll be rooting for you. Nothing unusual about relocation being an utter, utter pain.

That being said, I think we would all like to hear how things are going during this time. I understand you are/will be busy, but this is the first time I have heard about this relocation and I consider myself an enthusiastic DSS fan and customer. I know you are not exactly a social media guy, and that is a-okay, but please don't drop off the face of the earth for 6 months either. Good luck with your move.

Shelving and stock is about 5% of the problem. ~200,000 lbs of manufacturing equipment is a bit more involved. (Bekins doesn't move 15,000 lbs machines, or disconnect them from the power, compressed air, and maybe drains. I fully expect at a minimum 20 round trips (~900 miles each) with a one ton truck pulling a 25,000 gooseneck trailer. + 2-3 Semi's at ~40000lbs each too. Of course doing so requires a *big* forklift truck on each end and somebody qualified to operate it.

Tobin

Sure hope it's worth it, whatever the reason may be.

I'm just glad I'm not needing anymore DSS Bungee Boots.

Tobin's move is akin to moving Grandma and Grandpa who have lived in the same house for 50 years. The only difference is that Grandma and Grandpa are down sizing, Tobin is taking everything with him including the kitchen sink and then some.:D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom