DSMB with valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Dorgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi I’m looking for a decent (not cheap and nasty) DSMB, I want it to have a valve that can be used with a low pressure hose or oral inflation. Anyone know if that’s possible?

Yes. Sub-Gravity makes one with a Metal (The Deluxe) or a plastic valve that can be inflated via LP hose or by mouth. They come in different size. Quality is good. I just bought a 6’ 6” Deluxe.

I believe the "big H" has one...

The DGX seems like a quality piece of kit. $37 is cheap.
But, if the seas are 3-4' high and your DSMB is only 5' long, then you really only have 1-2' sticking up above the wave tops. See if you can find a longer one.

Until you are at the top of the wave top

Any of you experience with the DSMB from DGX? Looks like it has all needed features at a good price.
yes...i have used multiple DGX DSMBs. Have had no problems in several years of use.

I would not recommend getting the one with two colors on 1 DSMB. I generally carry 2 DSMBs on a dive, 1 yellow and 1 red. I brief that if I shoot a yellow all is well, just doing safety stops, deco, or some planned activity. If I shoot a red one that means I have a problem and pay attention. That kind of distinction is not possible with a multi colored DSMB.

If you are going to get a bigger DSMB, 5-8 feet make sure you practice filling it. Can't count the number of times I see half filled DSMBs flopping at the surface. Folks buy big DSMBs so you can "see it above big swells", but if it is only 1/2 filled and flopped at the surface you will only see 1-3 feet of it from time to time.

Any of you experience with the DSMB from DGX? Looks like it has all needed features at a good price.

It’s OK but I don’t like the plastic valve. Those will break, typically sooner than you think. Mine is a backup to my backup. I prefer the Halcyon closed DSMBs with the metal valves. I own 3 of them in different sizes.

Hi I’m looking for a decent (not cheap and nasty) DSMB, I want it to have a valve that can be used with a low pressure hose or oral inflation. Anyone know if that’s possible?

Halcyon closed DSMBs. They have them in various lengths & thicknesses. Really nice metal valves not the cheap plastic ones. They are my go to DSMBs.

The Halcyon ones are very good but expensive.

If you're in the UK (Redditch) then you've the options of a crack bottle or CO2 cartridge blob. These are really easy to deploy and are very popular in the UK. Normally you attach them to a decent long-line reel, e.g. 100m Kent Tooling.

Bigger is definitely better. With the strong UK tides, the boat skipper needs to be able to see you from a long way away.

You can get the CO2 cartridges pretty cheaply; buy for around 50p each or less if you buy in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom