DSMB Suggestion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they any advantages when it is laying flat on the surface? I rarely deploy them anymore because of it.
It has been a while since I have dived in Cozumel, but the DMs there leave them flat on the surface because there is no need to have them standing. the water is pretty flat, and the boat has been following the drift pretty closely. All the boats in that area know to look out for them--there are pretty much nothing but dive boats there.

With technical dives in South Florida, it is a completely different story. With the operator I usually use, it is common for most divers to ascend on the line leading to a float, but not always. Some divers doing extra long dives will send up DSMBs and drift. On other dives, some people will come up the line and some will choose to send up a DSMB and come up separately. In many cases, the boat ends up picking up divers in one place while others drift away. I have been one of the early returners while some of those darned rebreather divers are in the water for another 20-30 minutes. We get picked up and begin to break down our gear while the captain keeps his eyes on the really big DSMBs floating along in the distance. The waves can get pretty high. There are fishing boats and pleasure craft cruising along, sometimes at high speed. You absolutely want something standing up under those circumstances.

Last edited:
Are they any advantages when it is laying flat on the surface? I rarely deploy them anymore because of it.

In SE Asia, it’s best to keep the marker vertical, mostly, so the guys on the RIB can rapidly locate the divers in bumpy seas. It gives them a heads up,so they can see multiple divers during their safety\deco stops. Since I am ever so negative at 4-5 m, I can easily hold the reel with enough force to keep the marker vertical.

I would like a DSMB, preferably around 6” wide, 4-6’ long, must have oral and regulator inflation, OPV. A nice semi-closed/baffle bottom also. Anyone have experience with a good DSMB that fits the bill? I’d like to keep it under $50 if possible.

I was about to recommend the DGX 5' surface marking tube which I purchased in 2015 for $49, but I now see that it's $99!

It's a very nice piece of kit, and meets all your requirements. DMs frequently compliment me on my sausage, but even I don't think the DSMB or price should grow by 200% in 2 years.

I carry/use the DSS one @tbone1004 linked to. Shooting it to prevent being run over is the intent. If I was really needing to be concerned with being lost on the surface, I'd likely pack away a big one I could use once on the surface.

Everyone’s suggestions have been super helpful, I really appreciate them. I did some searches before settling on my size range but I guess it really comes down to intended use and sometimes the answer is to have multiple SMB’s for multiple jobs.

If you're interested in buying used, I was going to be listing my HOG 6' orange one. It's in good shape except the bungee that wraps around it is getting a little loose. I just wrap the bungee twice around it. For $15 shipped, it's yours...

Hog! 6ft Orange SMB w/ Reflective Tape ,

I ended up getting this from Tug. Just wanted to say thanks for an awesome deal that met all of my requirements!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom