DSMB requirement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe anyone would surface in Coz w/o having deployed a bag from below. The boat traffic there is flat out crazy. I also think the captains should do a better job of not flying through the popular areas at wide open throttle when there are very clearly slews of divers below. After my first drive trip to Coz years ago, the first thing I learned and practiced when I got home was how to properly deploy a bag from depth. I was just down there last week and on our small boat, I was amazed that only 2 of us were sending up a bouy (aside from the DM) when time to surface. I dive an Op that lets us dive our tank/computer and surface when needed w/o the DM.

Yep, I agree and on our dives we all came up with the DM who had deployed one. I know with experience I might want to stay down longer, but our dives were already 70 minutes and with a 5mm full suit I was still getting chilly.

I will admit that as a newer diver that had never been there, I didn't really think much about the boat traffic. Obviously I am now though.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone.

Yeah--I went and watched some YouTube videos and it looks tricky--something I would want to practice before attempting to use. I will investigate and get one or the other and then make sure I get a trial run or two in. Could you practice in a dive shop pool or is that too shallow to really get a feel? I am in Colorado and not a cold water diver so until my next vacation I won't have an opportunity. Thanks!
Absolutely! Just contact your local dive shop and ask them if they will let you use the pool. Different shops have different ways of doing it. Some have a pool in the shop, and they will rent you time. Some rent pool time at local recreation center and will let you go in on your own when they are having a class. I have even heard that some recreation centers will let you go in on your own. If your favorite shop will not do that (which would be a surprise), call another shop. Every shop I know in the Denver area will be happy to accommodate you.

Dear giffenk,

You hit on a major problem with subsurface launched SMBs. Most of those I see in Cozumel do just lay flat on the surface, maybe flopping up now and then. The only way to make them stand erect and provide warning to oncoming boats is to get negative-- pulling down on the line, or use SMBs with weight pockets built into the base. Either way, to be successfully used, that will require the diver to carry more weight than is otherwise necessary. Sadly, the best bet for most divers who hate extra weight like me, and ascend by themselves is to carry a SMB for surface inflation. My opinion only.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

You don't have to be negative to make a DSMB stand erect. You just need the line taut.

I can't say how many divers I've seen with either a SMB and no spool, or a brand new, unrigged spool with 100% of its line still on it-in other words, a worthless appendage. The spools, unless you get a pre rigged one (like, say, Apeks) must be rigged for the use first.

Many divers have more experience than me, but I learned to do this from videos and posts. My technique isn't perfect, but it is good enough.

What is unstated here is that shooting a bag is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
You don't have to be negative to make a DSMB stand erect. You just need the line taut.

This, just pull down. And it may not be perfect, but it's better than not having one.

I cannot imagine diving Cozumel (or any boat trip in open ocean frankly) without one and I *never* surface unless I've deployed mine or I'm with the DM that has already done so. Usually even if he or she has, I will do so a few times a trip, maybe once a day, to keep the skill up.

ETA as for marking on the surface, I would also never boat dive without one of these. They handed them out in Galapagos on the Aggressor and I bought some after I got back. Just strapped to my BC strap and deployed as needed. It is not susceptible to wind and won't fold over like some SMBs. And I've been told by more than one boat driver that it is *very* visible. I carry both a DSMB and one of these [Not sure why it does that but the "9" is a link to Leisure Pro].

Last edited:
I guess it's just been when I've been there, but I haven't seen boats/captians running crazy over dive sites (maybe I have a lot of faith in Coz boat captains, mine have been excellent:)). I agree it may be best practice to shoot a DSMB from depth, but divers shouldn't be made to feel you can't dive coz without that skill. You will surface under the guides marker far more times than not. If you do have to surface separately, it's like crossing a busy street. Do your SS, then listen and look. When clear, do a controlled assent (don't rush but don't dawdle at 5 ft.) and deploy your (surface) SMB if your boat isn't near by. I'm always in favor of learning a new skill, but deploying a DSMB from depth or "you'll die" is a bit of an over statement. Far better to surface in a controlled fashion with your SMB, than making a mess trying to deploy from depth. All IMHO. Safe diving. :)

Deploying a DSMB is not at all difficult with a little practice (like 1-2 times) if you have purchased the right DSMB for your REALISTIC needs and in Coz the real need is to avoid a boat hit when surfacing. Captains are highly skilled at spotting divers on the surface but let's be serious, if you're wearing a black hood or beanie you may as well be a little black soccer ball floating on the surface and add some waves or a 3'+ swell to it and you're only visible to a boat at the top of a wave or swell. As such, anything that is in sharp contrast to the water (Flame Red or Neon Yellow) and provides visibility of 4-5' above the water assuming you hold it up will be more than enough. No one needs one of those 6'-12' DSMB's in Coz.

For my personal DSMB deployment, I deploy @ 30-40'. Take it out, unroll it, open the bottom and tilt to the side to allow a few bubbles from my primary reg as I exhale to enter the bottom... that extends it and get's all that free-floating tube up and away from me without pulling me. Then, I hold my finger reel attached to the DSMB away from me, grab my secondary and give it a quick shot in the open bottom and let it go with the finger reel spinning. From depth a quick shot is all it takes as by the time it reaches the surface it will be fully inflated. Then just keep on diving and gradually wind your way up to your 15' stop (knot tied in the line at 15') and hang there, then, upon final surfacing give it multiple pulls on your way to the surface so it stands up tall and is visible over and over again for all boats to see before your head reaches the surface.

My wife and I both carry sausages (SMB? DSMB? I dunno...), and I deploy mine every chance I get. I like the way it makes it easy to hang at SS depth by going a little negative and hanging from the spool. I have black Sharpie marks at 15' and 30'; they show up well against the yellow string.

My wife and I both carry sausages (SMB? DSMB? I dunno...), and I deploy mine every chance I get. I like the way it makes it easy to hang at SS depth by going a little negative and hanging from the spool. I have black Sharpie marks at 15' and 30'; they show up well against the yellow string.

Yup... go a little neg and just hang out at 15'. I like to deploy from around 35' and keep on diving the top of the reef while others are surfacing due to deeper dives or more air consumption and are being picked up. Then hang at 15' for SS and then perform a very slow ascent from 15' to the surface (which I've learned is a very good practice as opposed to finishing the SS and then "taking the elevator" to the surface). Deploying the DSMB also does the boat captain a big favor after he knows your DSMB as he can pick up other divers, knows where you are, your DSMB floating signals in a way that you are OK and will be surfacing later after others are back on the boat.

I always dive with one and deploy it as often as possible, sometimes on every single dive. Sometimes it's good to let the captain and/or dive deck hand know you have one and plan to use it, if they are not used to people using them, they might interpret it as a call for help.

So, just to be polite and transparent, I mention that I have one and plan to practice deploying it even if there is a DM with one. No one had ever balked.

My favorite depth to let it go (assuming light current, good viz, warm water) is 45 ft. I use a 60 ft finger spool. Before I let it go I check that the line and the bag (my word for a dsmb) are in my line of sight and are not tangled with me at all. I like to wind and store using a double sided bolt snap. Usually, I have it all set to go, sometimes I attach the line underwater.

I've lost one finger reel. It was an expensive stainless one. Once, in an odd strong mid-column current I gave up and let go of the line because it was breaking my arm. Later I learned that swimming with the current while ascending might have resolved the issue. Another time, I did that and it worked. Oddly the bag was waiting docily for me when I reached my safety stop and I spent 5 minutes winding 45 ft of line. I planned to be embarrassed if I had to get back on the boat without it, but no one was the wiser.

I feel inadequate when I don't get the bag sufficiently filled (to my satisfaction) and might have to add gas on the surface while waiting for the boat. Whenever I dive with my instructor, I get performance anxiety, and way underperform and feel like a n00b loser. He laughs at me, but only for my reaction, not for my slightly underinflated bag .

Carrying and using a surface marker is a no brainer for me. Learn how, practice, look like a fool, let your buddy laugh, they need a good laugh.

Requiring divers to have one is an okay idea, if it is clear to them that it is okay to come up very carefully, looking for and listening for boat traffic, and then inflate the SMB on the surface. Where I live, divers are required to carry them and are loaned one, if they don't have one.

Like everything else in diving, let's take responsibility for ourselves and make the best and safest choices about how we dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom