DSMB deployment video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure I found before a short video showing how to deploy a Halcyon closed DSMB using a Defender spool. Does anyone know of this video and have a link to it.

(Any other links to DIR training material also welcome)

While it's nice to have the skills videos, the 5th-D video isn't a great example of shooting a bag, since the bag comes up underneath him as it's being filled....perfect way to enjoy a rockship ride to the surface. When filling, make sure the bag goes out in front of you where you can control it and it can't catch on anything.

I just watched the frogkick one...that one's even sloppier. The diver does not have control over the bag and it almost caught on his manifold on it's way up.

Soggy:
While it's nice to have the skills videos, the 5th-D video isn't a great example of shooting a bag, since the bag comes up underneath him as it's being filled....perfect way to enjoy a rockship ride to the surface. When filling, make sure the bag goes out in front of you where you can control it and it can't catch on anything.

I just watched the frogkick one...that one's even sloppier. The diver does not have control over the bag and it almost caught on his manifold on it's way up.

So, I'm guessing the Dive Tek Adventures one is the best example? I notice he does put some air in the bag under him, but not enough that he has any problems controlling the bag. On the other hand, careful control of filling with an LP hose doesn't seem too easy...

BarryNL:
So, I'm guessing the Dive Tek Adventures one is the best example? I notice he does put some air in the bag under him, but not enough that he has any problems controlling the bag. On the other hand, careful control of filling with an LP hose doesn't seem too easy...
I believe you'll find some good clips here:
http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/training.html

Soggy:
While it's nice to have the skills videos, the 5th-D video isn't a great example of shooting a bag, since the bag comes up underneath him as it's being filled....perfect way to enjoy a rockship ride to the surface.
My 1st attempt to shoot liftbag during DIR-F was much better but I was so ocupied with my performance that liftbag ended lifting instructor who was above me cheking if I would look above before shooting. :D

Funny! Could you explain how you will do this with an Argon-inflation-system? The hose is to short for filling the dsmb in front of you. Seems to me you haven't done that in real life.

Btw. I have a video of a gue instructor doin it the same way as they do it on frogkick.

Soggy:

I have done it in real life....I carry a SCC bag and a CC bag with me.

Any method of filling a liftbag where the bag comes up and hits you in the chest before being deployed is not optimal. The point isn't that the bag is *filled* in front or below you, the point is that the bag should fall so that when released it comes outside of your body vs underneath. Since the bag is a couple feet long, you can fill it with the BAG outside of your body and the inflator nipple underneath you. If you can't, your buddy should help you keep it out in front of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom