DSLR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy:
I'd maybe even wait for the S3. I read an article on it the other day, and it got a very good review.

SSra - Count me in on the d2X fund - I want one too!

chippy San, Where did you see the article on the S3?

In Professional Photographer magazine here in the UK.

They could only review the camera without taking pics, as Fuji wouldn't let them - boo hoo.....

PM me if you can't get PP out there...

how funny is that!

I picked the D70 over the Canon for topside pics largely because I already have some Nikon lenses from my film camera (F90X). So far, I have no gripes with the camera, apart from the regular cleaning of the CCD. Will be looking for a housing to go with the camera eventually but it will be tough on the wallet. I imagine it will be very easy to take pics of those elusive jumpy fishes with the D70.

Anyone have any idea which housings make ports for the Sigma 15-30mm WAL?? I know Ike does not.

Wolverine:
I picked the D70 over the Canon for topside pics largely because I already have some Nikon lenses from my film camera (F90X). So far, I have no gripes with the camera, apart from the regular cleaning of the CCD. Will be looking for a housing to go with the camera eventually but it will be tough on the wallet. I imagine it will be very easy to take pics of those elusive jumpy fishes with the D70.

Anyone have any idea which housings make ports for the Sigma 15-30mm WAL?? I know Ike does not.

Send Aquatica an email. I just got mine and love it for small size and durability. Has an 8" dome for the Nikon 12-24mm so can't see why this won't work for the Sigma.

Mike Veitch:
Send Aquatica an email. I just got mine and love it for small size and durability. Has an 8" dome for the Nikon 12-24mm so can't see why this won't work for the Sigma.

I'll try, but the Sigma is a hell of a lot bigger than the Nikon (unfortunately!). Will probably try Subal as well.

Chris Bangs:
how funny is that!

Yeah madness - it was the "only one in the UK".

Fuji allowed them to review it but they weren't allowed to take any pics using it and they weren't allowed to take it out of the building!!

All very cloak and dagger.

It said in the review that it was due out at the end of October though (??) at about GBP1,500.

It usues the same F80/N80 body as the S2, with a few tweeks - vertical shutter button and more rubbery grip, 2" LCD, new CCD etc. Overall the button layout is identical to the S2, so when hits the shops I'll be taking my housing down to see if it fits! :wink:

That is like reviewing software by looking at the Box! I would guess that they did not, or still do not have to bugs worked out on it.

bigger LCDs and the other stuff is of little importance! I want to know how it works with underwater sunburst shots!

sad to think that the viewfinder has not been improved

anyway, send me a PM when you do the housing test! I use the same rig!

all the best

Chris

Wolverine:
I'll try, but the Sigma is a hell of a lot bigger than the Nikon (unfortunately!). Will probably try Subal as well.

The Sigma will require a different extension ring than the Nikon 12-24 in order to match the dome to the lens! it should fit though!

the Sigma with its very domed front element is subject to lots of flair!

if possible get the largest diameter dome available for the housing

S3 is now fully reviewed at Dpreview.com.

It looks impressive in terms of image quality (though I will need to see a lot more reviews.)

It is shipping Dec 1st - several places are taking pre-orders. It is $2499.95 which is at least $500 more than it probably should be. All images appear to show that the camera is significantly bigger than the S2 (it includes a bottom grip) and everyone I have talked to has said that it feels more sturdy and larger. Which is bad news as it means it will need a new housing. Menu and directional buttons have moved as well. LCD is supposed to also be much improved as well.

I'll wait to see if the price drops after christmas. I will likely be willing to spend $2k on the camera if the dynamic color range is as good as the first few images have shown

M

Back
Top Bottom