DSLR Advice Sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been researching it myself. Basically the difference in Nikon and Cannon are Nikon, better lense quality, Cannon, more rugged. I'm one for the Cannon. The rugged convinced me.

PS - I have the Reefmaster D600. Good pics but I want MORE.

The debate rages on...

For consideration, an underwater housing with 2 ports, DLSR and 2-4 lenses, 2 strobes and all the batteries, chargers, filters, etc will cost somewhere around $4K for the most entry level camera. a more mid level DSLR setup is closer to $10K.

In effect, the cost of the camera body is a small (somewhere around 10%) of the total cost of your setup, but once you start, you want to buy a camera body that will last a while. You can't just upgrade when you outgrow it because in addition to the $500-$2000 you put into your camera body, you have $1000-$5000 in a housing designed specifically for that camera body.

For this reason, I think it is smart to not get an entry level DSLR like the D40 or the Rebel XTi. Both are not well set up for manual shooting (1 command dial). The Nikon D80 is supposed to be a very good camera, but not nearly as rugged as the D200, which I own and can testify to it's superior build. Otherwise, the D200 has a few more options, but the 2 are comparable. I understand that the Canon 20D is a great camera, which many like. The 30D is the successor, but was not significantly different from the 20D for most to upgrade. Many are waiting the the next Canon in that range.

Regarding lenses, the big difference between Canon and Nikon was that Canon didn't have a 180 deg fisheye lens for a cropped sensor camera like Nikon did (10.5mm) that changed when Tokina came out with the 10-17mm FE zoom lens for both canon and Nikon. It's a wonderful lens and should be considered as one of your first UW lenses (But is pretty useless above water, so your budget might call for duel use lenses)

Regarding the "other" makers of really good SLR (Sony, Olympus, Fugi, etc) be careful,they make great cameras, but there are fewer housing on the market, so your selection of housings will be limited.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

John

Even the above water camera accessories are a killer. I have not housed my camera yet, but will do so this year. I bought a D-200 and am taking the time to learn it on the surface first. Everything has been fairly carefully thought out purchase wise, or at least I would like to think so. I spent hour upon hour reading here and wetpixel along with other sites. Many of my friends shoot Canon DSLR's above water and the results are magnificent.

D-200 body
12-24mm Tokina (Kinda wished I would have spent almost double for the Nikkor)
18-200mm Nikkor
2 Pocket Wizard Plus 2's (1 more will be long in the future)
Trigger for camera using Pocket Wizards (Allows wireless control of camera shutter)
Sekonic L-358 light meter and RF module to trigger Pocket Wizards
SB-800 Flash (Already had a second Vivitar flash from a 35mm)
Small camera case for attaching to front of backpack
Dakine photo backpack for day hikes. (Has removable camera block for car rides etc.)
B+W multi coated clear, non UV filters in 72mm and 77mm (A filter saved my last camera lens)
B+W step up ring from 72mm to 77mm
B+W 77mm Polarizing filter
Sea & Sea YS110 strobe (Probably going to want a second one in the future)

Still yet to purchase...after next bank job; errr when the job fills the bank account any how.
60mm Nikkor (Sooner rather than later)
Carbon Fiber Gitzo Mountaineer series tripod (Current tripod is a POS)
Sea & Sea DX-D200 housing along with wide and macro ports
TTL Converter with cables
Second YS110 strobe

Right now I am sitting at over $4200 and that is not counting the YS110 strobe I already own. That is what it took to get my camera set up for taking land based pictures. Really depends what you plan to do with the camera and how much you already own that can be reused. My camera bag was falling apart and I've grown to hate my tripod now. You can cut much of what I bought out, but for me I want to learn studio shooting and cool artsy type photos in my travels.

OK I had both the D200 and D80 in my hands today - using the D200 on land would be a real workout - that's one heavy camera!

I need to build up the bank account for a while but I think the D80 is what I will go with for now. Seems to be pretty well suited to my needs and I like the controls better than the Olympus I tried. I need to understand how the lens ports work before I get too far into lens - that's not something I've every dealt with before.

Lee

Given that you are not going to go "pro" and that your photography is excellent with your present camera, have you considered just getting a second strobe? That would let you even out your lighting and cost less.

Nikon and Canon are excellent camera companies. I think my preference among their products would be for either 1Ds MkII or later or a 5D. My reason for preferring these two Canon models is their 35mm sized sensor chips. They might give you some better wide angle lens options. The 1Ds is going to be big, but it also has some big battery capacity. The 5D is cheaper and more compact. Its battery is no slouch, but for a 3 or 4 dive day it would probably need to be exchanged or recharged. Used 1Ds models are available now and might save you some money.

Another consideration is that with Nikon or Canon DSLR's you will need to use the viewfinder. Olympus's E-330 however offers an option to use either the viewfinder or the LCD screen on the camera body, a distinct plus underwater. Olympus info follows below.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/camolychart.html#see1

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_slr_accessories.asp

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/empProdDetails.asp?sku=260518-410

Nikon and Canon are excellent camera companies. I think my preference among their products would be for either 1Ds MkII or later or a 5D. My reason for preferring these two Canon models is their 35mm sized sensor chips. They might give you some better wide angle lens options.

Without going into the debate regarding a full vs cropped sensor size, the latest rage in wide angle underwater photography is the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye Lens which is specifically designed for the cropped sensor. In a wetpixel forum there is a serious debate as to if the benifits of a full sensor camera are worth the tradeoff of not having this lens in your kit. For my purposes, I own the 12-24DX lens and the Tokina 10-17mm which cover the whole range of wide angle with my cropped sensor D200.

There are advantages to a full sensor vs a cropped one, but IMHO, with the introduction of this unique lens, the advantage regarding wide angle options lies with cropped sensor cameras (both Canon and Nikon).

Take care,
John

mikerault:
I like the Canon 20D, but it is replaced by the 30D. Both have housings from Ikelite. You can get the 30D, kit lens, Ikelite housing with strobe for about 4K ($1000.00 camera kit (BH Photo) and $2000.00 for the housing with Strobe (Reefphoto.com) and $1000.00 for a 100mm macro and flat port.)

If you do go with a 30D kit (I own one and i'm really happy with it!) spend the extra money on the 17-85mm over the 18-55mm. The 17-85 is a great lens that goes over really well. Ike even has a special port for it specifically (I haven't used it, but the fact that they made one probably says something).

i would got with the cannon 30d if you go canon because with the rebel xt or rebel xti you have to push two buttons to change the aperture which is a pain. how ever there is a housing made by sea tool that has makes it possible to lock this button which very nice. i really like the size of the hosing it is not much bigger than the the camera unlike the big box housing from ikelite. if you go with the cannon 30d Aquatica make a great housing i have one and i love it i don't have to take my hands off the hand grips to change shut speed or aperture or take a picture or acess any of the main controls and it was reasonably priced check out http://backscatter.com. there is the subal housing but it really expansive and was out of my price range. my complete set up is around 3,500. that was without the camera. as far as lenses go skip the kit lens !!!!!!! Get one you like, for under water use i have 10-22 and a 100mm macro love them both. also use a 16-35 2.8 but actually like the 10-22 better. i have been shooting canon for a long time out of water and love them and have just started shooting with them under water and buy far is the best i have used. one thing i have learned over the years is that invest in the glass not in the body because you will replace the body long before you replace the lenses

please let us all know what you final get !!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom