DS-50 or YS90DX with a S45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what flash setting does my camera need to be in, when using the DS-50 with TTL?

I have the option of INT + Flash picture | Flash Picture | Slave

Under Slave I can set 1 - 10, but I'm not really sure what that does....

I use the Int+Flash picture, setting, but I have to admit I haven't read the book about the other settings and I haven't played with those yet. And I've just been hunting unsuccessfully for my instruction manual :(

I too am trying to decide on a strobe for my Canon A70 and DC-WP700 housing.

I've read the specs and for the price, what practical differences would there be between the YS-25 DX and the YS-90 DX? I would have to use the strobe in slave mode with a fibre optic cable, so the TTL is not important.

Am I missing anything else?

Marc

I ordered the Ikelite DS-50 this morning. $439.00 from B&H for the complete kit to fit my Canon S45. It was a couple of hundred cheaper and seems to match up to what the YS-90DX does. 17th street photo was the best price on the YS-90 but they are no longer ordering them because of the crappy service Sea and Sea was providing. B&H had it in stock as I need to have it in 2 weeks.

Rich

FLL Diver once bubbled...
I too am trying to decide on a strobe for my Canon A70 and DC-WP700 housing.

I've read the specs and for the price, what practical differences would there be between the YS-25 DX and the YS-90 DX? I would have to use the strobe in slave mode with a fibre optic cable, so the TTL is not important.

Am I missing anything else?

Marc

I'm sure the biggest difference is in strength. At least that's been true of the model numbers for S&S in the past.

DS-50 is 50 watts. The S&S YS-90DX is I believe 60 watts. According to the Ikelite website the DS-50 meet or exceded the YS-90. That just from what I have read. I have not tested either.

Go to Digital Diver, to the forum for Strobes/Lighting. There was a comparison done by one of the members with S&S, Ike, and Inon strobe. Some of the reported stats were making any sense so this non-manufacturers non-biased test was done by the member.

Never mind. My memory failed me. The Strobe Shootout was between the S&S YS90DX and the Inon Z220.

So what flash setting does my camera need to be in, when using the DS-50 with TTL?
I have the option of INT + Flash picture | Flash Picture | Slave
Detonate, from your post it seems like you have a C5050 and a PT015 (? correct me if I'm wrong) housing. With the DS50 and a TTL sensor turn your camera's flash on, thunderbolt sign in P and A or thunderbolt-slow in S and M shooting mode. Your flash menu should be set to IN+EXT. Turn the DS50 on and select TTL. On the TTL slave sensor turn the Min/Max sensitivity dial to Max, aim it at and slightly towards the back of the camera's flash. You might want to block the camera's flash by putting something in front of housing's diffuser. With the TTL slave sensor you can't adjust the output of your strobe. In this case your camera is determining how long the flash should stay on to get the correct exposure. The TTL slave sensor and DS50 combination is simply following the camera's flash - coming on when the camera's flash comes on and switching off (quenching) when the camera's flash goes off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom