DS-50 or YS90DX with a S45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rich52758

Registered
Reaction score
I own a Canon S45. I also own a reefmaster 35mm with a matching strobe. So I am trying to decide which way to go. Reuse the reefmaster strobe and buy a reefmaster matching digital camera. Or use my S45 and buy a new strobe and housing for it. Either a DS50 or a YS90DX from what I have been reading. I dont want to under power it. I am a vacation diver so I only use the system a few trips a year. I want good digital pictures but dont want to spend a ton. Any thoughts?

Rich

I've been looking around for info on strobes as well. I came across this on a website and found it to be very informative.

Accessory Lighting for Digital Cameras

When you use an external light source instead of the camera's built-in flash you can improve the underwater image quality by reducing back scatter (light reflected from suspended particles between the subject and the lens. It looks like a snow storm.). In some underwater cases, the flash built-in to the camera is obscured by the housing, or wide angle lenses that have been added to the camera housing, but can still be used to trigger a slave flash.

External lighting can be provided either by flash or by video lights, but flash usually gives the best results by freezing action provided that the triggering and exposure control systems operate correctly. The video light has a different (warm) light color than flash and the camera will have to use internal auto color balance to correct for this or you can, on some cameras, control the white balance with the control menu in the camera.

Pre-flash Cameras: Many digital cameras use a pre-flash system, whereby the camera˜s flash fires twice. The first flash is for the camera to adjust the exposure and set the focus distance and second to make the final exposure. This action will pre-trigger a conventional slave strobe (cause it to fire at full power during the pre-flash, and fail to fire during the main flash which occurs a 200 milli-seconds later). If your digital camera does not use pre-flash, you may be able to use conventional non-digital slave-flash strobes. To get the best results, a TTL slave system or varying the flash output manually will be required to make the correct exposure. You can see the results played back on the camera's LCD and make further adjustments to get the correct exposure.

If you are not sure about your equipment, or want to have the option to upgrade to a pre-flash camera, use only pre-flash compatible strobes such as the Ikelite digital series or the Epoque 150D Full-flash Cameras: Some cameras fire the internal flash at full output and control exposure by adjusting the sensitivity of the imaging device (CCD). Such cameras should be used with a variable-output manual slave-flash such as the Epoque ES-150DS or Sea & Sea YS25DX or YS90DX, or with a video light. Note that the Ikelite TTL DS-125 also has a manual variable-output mode, but it will not be possible to use the TTL function with a full-flash camera.

Metered-flash cameras: A more sophisticated digital camera uses a built-in light-metering sensor to control the output of the camera˜s built-in flash. This includes the Olympus 3040 and 4040 cameras. This may be either a TTL sensor, or a sensor on the body of the camera. Control is achieved by switching-off (quenching) the flash when sufficient exposure has been achieved. In this case, the Ikelite 50D with the Remote TTL sensor (cut-off detecting) slave flash system will provide best results by making full use of the camera exposure control system.

Cameras with flash connector: Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, and 995 cameras are provided with a sync connector. Ikelite housings for these cameras bring the sync connector out to a bulkhead socket, and may be used, via a conventional sync cord, with any Ikelite TTL Substrobe (i.e. DS-series strobes and conventional Substrobes from the film-camera equipment. The Tetra and Subal housings also have this ability for the Nikon 5000 system Flash

Trays and brackets.

Once you know what lighting system you will use with your camera then you need to find the proper way to attach it to the housing. Some lights come with an arm or bracket suitable to connect to several housings, as is the case with most Ikelite systems. Others require a bracket (arm and tray) to be purchased separately. Some housings (e.g., Ikelite) are supplied with a tray, most others have a 1/4" tripod socket on the bottom and will attach to a standard tray.

Marc

If you're planning to ditch film and go digital then adding a housing and strobe to the S45 would be my weapon of choice.

The S&S YS90DX and the Ike DS50 with a manual slave sensor are very similar in performance and features. The YS90DX is a very popular strobe and has a large (and happy) user base. With the DS50 the strobe output dial is on the slave sensor which can be mounted near the camera as opposed to the YS90DX which is at the strobe head. The DS50 is also backed by Ike's excellent customer service.

I'm in the same boat as this guy.

There seems to be a ton of info on strobes on the net. However, there is no idiot's guide to strobe which is really ticking me off. For someone as technical as I am, and always a quick learner, I'm becoming overly frustrated trying to find a strobe.

My dive shop has leant me 2 strobes so far. The YS90 DX which I was unable to make work....

And now the DS-50 with a TTL sensor, which I seem to be able to make work, but I'm not really sure HOW it works, so I can't figure out how to change it's power and stuff. I just found out that the Min Max setting has nothing to do with strobe output, but instead the strobes ability to decide when to fire.....

:confused:

There seems to be a ton of info on strobes on the net. However, there is no idiot's guide to strobe which is really ticking me off.
You're sitting on it right here on this board. :D

Seriously, do you have a S45 and WP-DC 300 housing as well?

Detonate once bubbled...
...My dive shop has leant me 2 strobes so far. The YS90 DX which I was unable to make work....

What do you mean was unable to make work? It's very simple manual operation. Strobe setting is ON and PRE and the fiber optic cable does the rest. Of course, as I found out through trial and error, the internal flash DOES have to be turned on in order to slave anything! It only took once! Unless the C-5050 is WAY different than my C-4040, it doesn't matter what mode you're in or what lens you're using...you set the strength with the controls at the back of the camera. I've found I change them as my depth and ambient light changes, about every 20 feet.

So unless you have a defective strobe, I don't understand how you were "unable to make it work". However, on DDN, there is someone with a defective sounding YS90DX that works topside but not underwater so maybe the newer models are having problems.

Thanks for the feedback.

The reefmaster strobe and digital would work short term but does not give me any flexiblity in the future other than staying with the reefmaster system. I had been looking at the Sea and Sea YS 90 but have not heard good reports on there service. Plus the price is 200.00 more than the DS-50. Does anyone here have a website of pictures taken using the DS-50? I have to make a dicision here in the next few days.

Rich

The Ike DS50 only has either the manual setting, which fires the strobe at full power, or TTL, which is fired and quenched by the camera's own built-in strobe. You can't really "change" the power output manually, except perhaps to use the diffuser to reduce the output and soften the light slightly but there's no real 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc output settings. The TTL is not foolproof though - I've had a few bleached out pics, but basically because the strobe was too close to the subject when doing macro work - easily resolved though.

The little doofer control with min/max on the TTL sensor, simply controls the sensitivity of the slave, i.e if you're diving with other photographer you'll probably want it closer to min to prevent your strobe from being fired by another strobe being fired close by, and visa versa.

My DS50 has been faultless so far, and the service from Ikelite themselves is 2nd to none........highley recommended.

ReyeR- nice pictures!

Chippy- thanks for the feedback. I'm going to cancel my reefmaster DC310 order and see what I can find for a DS-50 today. I have to find one in stock since I am leaving for my cruise in 2 weeks. Ikelite is back ordered. Anyone know of a used one for sale?

Rich

Back
Top Bottom