Drysuits: trilam vs. Cordura (i.e. TLS350 vs. CLX450)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver42

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to figure out whether I should go with the DUI TLS350 (http://www.dui-online.com/Catalog/tls350.html), which is a trilam suit, or the CLX450, which has a Cordura overlay (http://www.dui-online.com/Catalog/clx450.html).

I've been diving wrecks off the southern coast of Florida and around NC, but I've been staying away from the Northeast scene mainly because of the temperatures. That is what this suit is supposed to fix.

So, given I'm primarily talking about wreck diving, I'm looking for various opinions on whether I'll *really* need the protection of the Cordura (and, say, whether there are drag issues, etc.).

(Btw, gotta publically thank Uncle Pug for saving me from making a big suit-purchase mistake in sizing... thanks!)

Id get the clx 450. I have had a tls 350 for about 3 years, and have never put a whole in it wreckdiving, but a friend of mine has the same suit, and he put a whole in his the other day doing a swim thru a bus in a quarry. He's only had his about a year????

The clx 450 wasnt available when I ordered my suit. I don't think a properly fit codura suit would substatilly effect the suits drag. Maybee a little, but its no race down there anyway.

Dave

I was recently faced with the same choice and I went with the 450. I dive mostly NE wrecks and it made sense to me. My buddy got the same suit (Divernva on the board) but his is all black and mine is red. We went with the signature series, which came custom cut (they did a nice job, btw) with kevlar kneepads, two pockets, and a hood.

I tried on a number of 350s and a 450 before ordering and didn't feel a difference on dry land between the two suits. Naturally, the cordura is probably a little stiffer than the trilaminate of the 350. There is not that much cordura on the suit though...just the torso and arm panels. That being said, I can still reach my valves fine and I am happy with the purchase.

Hope this helps..

I have a tls350 and my next suit is going to be the cordura or cf200 crushed neoprene. tls350 is a great suit, but I percieve it to be more fragile than the other models. I did a number on one area of my drysuit by way of an argon bottle/radiator clamp (chafing and two rips in the decorative nylon panel) that while it didn't create any leaks, made me wish I had got the more durable material.

I posted this: http://www.scubaboard.com/t14142/s.html when I started looking...actually the board voted the 450 dead last...but I thought you might find it helpful since a lot of people voted.

Well everyone has their preference. I like the CLx-450 and would buy another one in a heart beat, if I needed it. I am not a dry suit expert and could certainly not stand toe to toe with someone who knew what they were talking about. However I do know that the suit works for me and that I have been happy with it…………..Arduous

PS: Thanks for the pole info.

I also got a 450 (against the board's advice - *gasp*) and couldn't be happier (well, let me amend that...other than the not being able to afford gas or food after buying it, I couldn't be happier).

Only complaint..who the hell designed the bag that came with it? Seriously, it is not much larger than a Ziploc freezer bag...I have to use the modified Yugoslavian method to get the thing in the bag.

*Note - Modified Yugoslavian Drysuit Folding is not endorsed by DUI and basically involves stuffing the suit in the bag and jumping up and down on it until it fits.

That’s funny…. I never use the bag myself. Too much effort to get the suit into it and diving is supposed to be fun LOL.

It does make a good carrier for a towel and a change of clothing.

MYDF... very nice.

My wife's new TLS350 fits in the bag very nicely. With SuperModel Pug's undies and the rockboots.

As the rocket scientists at DUI only make one bag...I believe my 50/50 will be quite snug when it finally arrives. I may need to employ the MYDF to get the damn thing in there.

I can't imaging stuffing a CF200 in that lunch bag.

Funny - we hang it to store it. We take it off the hanger and put it in the dive bag to and from the site...when will this bag every really get used?

You rock.

K

Back
Top Bottom