Drysuits....to pee or not... Depends...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you don't like to pee in your wetsuit you may want to consider the she-p and just use it for all of your diving. It would certainly help you with having to go throughout the whole day. Have a short hose with QD on the end of it and with shorts on you can go just like the guys in the woods, off the boats, or while standing in public restrooms. Not unheard of for people to either run a hose down the leg of wetsuits or punch a small hole and put a cheap unbalanced p-valve on them, I do this on my wetsuits btw to help keep the smell down.

Financially the She-P isn't an option this year (and setting up a "Go Fund Me" isn't happening!!!). Two dives a day is when I have the problem...and not hydrating properly has been an issue for a number of years. I don't drink caffeine, usually water or OJ. I detest trying to get out of my DS and undergarment and especially if I'm on a boat with a small toilet! Im taking Fundies this year so I'm thinking ahead too...... Like a good little camper I try to think ahead to what's around the next tree in the great outdoors also...

She-P, (for us guys, a condom catheter) into a balanced one-way overboard discharge P-valve, or Diapers (Depends). The other option is more effective but harsher, inconvenient and greater risk of causing infection or inflammation -and is usually unnecessary & medically contraindicated for otherwise healthy individuals: Indwelling Foley Catheterization. :(

(I think I'd rather use a P-Valve or Depends instead). . .

You can get through Fundies without a p-valve. Eat a bag of potato chips or pretzels before going diving -- the salt will diminish your urine output. If you do the class in Seattle, you will have access to a bathroom. Not so much in BC.

You can get through Fundies without a p-valve. Eat a bag of potato chips or pretzels before going diving -- the salt will diminish your urine output. If you do the class in Seattle, you will have access to a bathroom. Not so much in BC.

oh.my.gawd.....I never thought about that! So drinking margaritas with salt on the rim is good for me!!! But on a serious note, does that still maintain my level of hydration?

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 07:44 PM ----------

Another option is a Freshette (Sports and Travel Us). One word of advice - practice at home first. Works even on very small boats.

Owwweeeeeeeeeee

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 07:45 PM ----------

Lynne's advice has given me many dives without needing to hook up the condom catheter.

Jim, Which size bag...large or family size???

Yes, eating salt results in volume expansion.

Around here its what they would consider a 99 cent bag. Not huge. If I eat one of those and something like a slim jim beef stick I can drink a 20 ounce bottle of water before a dive and be good for up to three hours.

Ladies (men, hold back the jokes please),
I'm one of many drysuit divers looking for a way to stay better hydrated and avoid the loo! Yes, I know we have the "She-P" but I'm researching only "Depends" here. I don't necessarily dive every weekend, nor do I do more than one dive a day...but acoiding the urge starts well before I leave home. My questioning to the users are....how secure do you feel using them and do they work on a small bladder or can they take a heavy flow? Can they take more than one (P)? I'm really tired of trying to keep my drysuit sleeves off the bathroom floor, its not always convenient to completely take my drysuit off...nuff said! I've thought about ordering a sample to just try around the house...
Thankyou ladies, I really value your input!

I've had prostate issues for quite a while. This has required me to measure how much and how often I pee. I use depends with my dry suit. I discharge 8 to 10 oz when I pee. I have peed as many as 3 times during one dive while using one depends without any leakage or problems. Hope that helps you sister.

Back
Top Bottom