Drysuits...DUI or Diving Concepts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have chosen to purchase either a DUI CKX 450 or a DC Z-Flex. I would like to get some feedback on each. Also, I have heard different stories as to the zip seals on the DUI. Also, I have heard different comments on the DUI rock boots with regards beach dives (sand). Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks all.

I hope someone has some imput because I am looking the same drysuits. I could use the advise also. Clay

sorry, i have no relevant information, but i'm sure others will chime in

I have no experience with DUI, but I do own a DC Z-flex. I bought it last fall and have half a dozen dives on it. It works just fine for me. It seems to be built well. I've been dry on every dive so far. I also recently picked up a Si-tec smurf glove system. I have only used it once, but it worked very well and kept my hands dry and comfortable in 35 degree water.
My previous suit was a Poseidon Unisuit. The Z-flex is much easier to don and doff. The Unisuit required basicly nothing in undergarments being a 7mm neoprene suit. I could dive in darn near solid water in that thing wearing a jogging suit for an undergarment and be warm. I'm still dialing in the undergarment situation with the Z-flex. It truely is a different animal. When I guess right though, its as comfortable as a pair of worn in bluejeans. When I did my home work the Z-flex seemed to compare with a DUI TLS-350. I did not try one of those, but the bells and whistles are about the same. I compared suits at three shops. I ended up getting a better deal brick and mortar then internet. More importantly, I was able to try the thing on. The person at the shop I use most was like a deer in headlights when I mentioned drysuits. The other two shops both carried Dive concepts. There was a three hundred dollar difference bettween them for the same suit. The one I bought from had to order out, so mine was literally brand spanking new.
To sum up. I am very happy with my DC suit. Good luck with your home work. Ask questions. Don't rely on the internet soley. There are internet retailers that do a great job, but if you can find a good dive shop, give them the business. If theres ever a problem, it great to have some one you can talk to.

Jim

i'll tell you if you PM me and ask nicely

OK. So far I have found out that the DUI and the Diving Concepts are basicially the same with the DC being less expensive. Also, the the DC Z Flex is a "stock" suit that can not be customized, while the DC Duraflex Tek is a "custom" suit (meaning that you can order it custom fit to your body. The DUI 450 and the DC Duraflex Tek seem to be comparable in terms of material and custom fit, with the DC being less expensive. Now its is getting down to rock boots or integrated boots. DUI has both, DC has integrated. For sand beach dives it has been recommended that the rock boots have problems because they collect sand and then grind into the suit material creating leaks. The integrated boot do not have this problem, but may have more wear and tear. The other question is latex seals or neoprene seals (wrist? neck?). So many questions...so many opinions!

Most of us at the shop have Diving Concepts because that's what the shop sells. One of our guys has a DUI that he's had for a few years now. To be honest with you I don't think you will go wrong with either one. Its more a question of which options you want to go with. Since each has a few differences, those options and the price should settle it for you pretty well.

For me the integrated boots on the DC became a problem with wear on the soles, after only two years. Someone said the boots had been changed, but I haven't seen one recently to be able to tell the difference. I had socks put on mine, and bought some DUI rock boots, go figure. Its a little more hassile putting the suit on and off, but the boots are much nicer than what came with the suit originally.

The zipper on the DC looked to be a better zipper, but that may be an older DUI and they may have a better zipper.

One thing I do know is that all of the people who got the front entry don't like it much. The couple of us with a back zipper love it.

I have the Pro 650 HD suit, and the material does seem to be very durable, but not much flex. If I had to do it again I would go with the UltraFlex, the couple of people with it really like it.

I have a DUI cf200x with rock boots and I haven't experienced any problems with walking in sand. Yes, it takes slightly longer time to put on the suit, but the ancle support with the boots is good. And they feel like normal shoes. I had a small accidcent with the latex neck seal the other day, but so far it seems like super glue fixed it. Keeping my fingers crossed. I might want to investigate zip-seals (field replacable...).

I just bought the DC Neo-z, after looking and asking for months thats where I ended up. In my LDS he had about 14 different brands and types of drysuits and he took the time to show the difference between cheap(<$1000) and premium(>$1300) drysuits. He also went into how seams are glued, proper don/doffing of the different suits. I am very satisfied I made the right decision. At my LDS he knew I was a new drysuit diver and for all newbies he does 2 free drysuit dives with you, one in a pool the other a local inlet dive. Not to mention if you ever need a repair for that trip of a lifetime ,YOUR LDS will repair your suit on the spot, try that with an on-line retailer.

Back
Top Bottom