Drysuits & doubles: neutral 80's okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are neutrally buoyant AL80's okay with drysuits?

Yep, they should be fine. Any particular concerns?

Most recommend not to us AL80's doubled with drysuits and prefer steel tanks instead (or rather, tanks that are negative). I was wondering if the same caveats apply with neutral tanks.

Weight is weight. Lift is lift. Are you properly weighted and have the proper lift?

Do you fear your weigh will fall off?

Nah, I just want to carry less weight on the belt.

Well, if a "neutral 80" is neutral when empty, then a pair of them is requires 3 lbs more lead ballast than my HP 100s do. That seems manageable.

I dive regular old Al80 doubles with my drysuit in warm water, and carry six pounds.

My doubles are neutral 80s. In fresh water with light undergarments, I need no additional weight. With bulkier undergarments, maybe up to six pounds. I will say that the tanks are a little longer than I'd prefer (I'm short), but regular 80s would be also. Next set I'll probably go with HP100s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom