Drysuits and Kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a Florida warm, water, weenie. Never dove in water below 65 degrees. But I'm now contemplating a move to the colder climes of California. Fine and good, I'll suck it up and spend 2k on a DUI. However, one of my great joys is diving with my son, 13. I've been more than willing to bear the expense of new wetsuit(s) and fins on a regular basis--but drysuits? I know some will say a 7mm should work fine but my kid was raised in 80 degree water. What do those of you diving in cold water with kids do? Are there particular (i.e., cheaper) drysuits that work well for kids? Are there any that will give bit of growing room without creating huge amounts of shifting air? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

I don't know of any kids specifically diving in ds, but when I was shopping for my suit on ebay I did see quite a few small suits for reasonable prices. Most of them were being sold by men who tried to get their girl friends, wives...into cold water diving, but couldn't, so the suits were barely used. Most were also unisex. So, depending on your son's size, it may not be a bad way to go without spending a lot of money just so he outgrows it in a year (which he probably will).

reubencahn:
I'm a Florida warm, water, weenie. Never dove in water below 65 degrees. But I'm now contemplating a move to the colder climes of California. Fine and good, I'll suck it up and spend 2k on a DUI. However, one of my great joys is diving with my son, 13. I've been more than willing to bear the expense of new wetsuit(s) and fins on a regular basis--but drysuits? I know some will say a 7mm should work fine but my kid was raised in 80 degree water. What do those of you diving in cold water with kids do? Are there particular (i.e., cheaper) drysuits that work well for kids? Are there any that will give bit of growing room without creating huge amounts of shifting air? Any thoughts are much appreciated.
I got both my sons certified in Puget Sound when they were 14 and 15. They both wore 7mm wetsuits, new, which fit them pretty well. They were fine for one dive, but would typically get pretty cool during the second. (Both were pretty skinny guys.) Dunno how California water compares to PNW water, precisely, but cold kids don't have fun. Recommend you take your warm water background into consideration if you want your son to continue diving with you.

DUI makes an outstanding drysuit, but there are others that would work fine. And I've seen both women diving mens suits and younger boys in what was sold as a 'woman's' suit (but it was black!) Fit is important, for both trim and safety, but many 'barely used' suits will be suitable, they are often reasonably 'unisex'.

Ebay is your friend. Look for used drysuits, there are literally hundreds available. They don't have to fit perfectly, but something pretty close would be nice. Be sure you have his measurements as if you were ordering a new custom suit. Helps a lot when trying to judge 'stock sizes' online. Here is another thought. DUI maintains a site where they unload new or near-new suits at sometimes decent prices. It's worth your time to check the site out from time to time, to see whats been added to the list (look under 'factory close-outs'):
http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm

Best of luck,

Doc

Our company has done a lot of dry suits for kids in recent years, especially in Southern California. I guess the advantage of the Shell suit is that it is not as tight fitting as say a neoprene. Kids can get a few years out of a dry suit. I'm always a little leary of building suits for kids, but our suits aren't quite as expensive as a lot of them and our customs are a little cheaper. I'm not trying to sell dry suits on this forum, but just letting the readers know that their are a lot of dry suit companies who will do a fairly inexpensive suit for growing children. And if kids are dry and warm, Mom and dad get to go diving more. Pretty good proposition!!

Back
Top Bottom