Drysuit zippers: care, problems, life span

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I now have to replace another zipper on my drysuit. This is incredibly expensive repair.

My friend had to replace his because the relief strap on the end of the zipper ripped. His zipper was in excellent shape.

It seems a shame that you can't repair these zippers, you just have to replace them if anything goes wrong.

Just curious what experience others have regarding drysuit zippers.

How long does your zipper last?

Any problems or repair issues?

What is the best care for the zippers?

Any advice?

I have 304 dives on my zipper, my buddy close to 800, best advice I can give is clean and lubricate it after every dive, also open and closure techniques are important, I always store my dry suit with the zipper in the open position.

David57 is right on the money. Lubricate but not over abundance as it has a tendancy to gather sand, always store zipper open, when folded make sure zipper does not have anything of weight lying on it.

Like these divers posts above, countless dives. I've replaced the seals, but not a zipper in either DUI suit that I've had. How are you drying and/or storing your drysuit? Zipper replacement is a reality, but not the normal repair. It's all about good maitenance.

Safe diving to you.

My husband got about 350 dives off his Bare drysuit before the zipper developed a leak, and it wasn't from damage to the teeth. The fabric of the zipper along the teeth frayed and leaked.

I have about 300 dives on my Fusion, and no zipper problems yet. My Mobby's suit, I put about 300 dives on, and sold it to someone who has put probably at least half that many more, and no zipper problems (the suit had its issues, but the zipper wasn't one of them).

I try to remember to wax the zipper at least every couple of dives, and after each dive, it's rinsed carefully to remove all salt. I don't ever fold the zipper; when I pack the suit, I'm careful to make sure the zipper is lying flat. That's all the care mine gets, except for burning off the fraying threads from the inner placket.

I try to remember to wax the zipper at least every couple of dives, and after each dive, it's rinsed carefully to remove all salt. I don't ever fold the zipper; when I pack the suit, I'm careful to make sure the zipper is lying flat. That's all the care mine gets, except for burning off the fraying threads from the inner placket.
Same thing I do. I would expect to get at least a couple hundred dives from a zipper.

FWIW a zipper is about $120.00 and not very hard to install if you are at all handy.

Does your drysuit have a front zip that zips from the top of the shoulder down to the hip? I've found (my suit and my husband's suit) that if you yank on the zipper to get it started yourself, it will cause premature wear. I now ask for help when I'm zipping my suit....and wax it every few dives. Hopefully that will help :)

I now have to replace another zipper on my drysuit. This is incredibly expensive repair.

My friend had to replace his because the relief strap on the end of the zipper ripped. His zipper was in excellent shape.

It seems a shame that you can't repair these zippers, you just have to replace them if anything goes wrong.

Just curious what experience others have regarding drysuit zippers.

How long does your zipper last?

Any problems or repair issues?

What is the best care for the zippers?

Any advice?
Can I ask what brand drysuit do you have? I'm on my 2rd Bare suit, both back zipper and both zippers have frayed . Like others have said, not because of the teeth but the fabric that makes up the zipper has frayed back to the teeth themselves. I make sure I wax the zipper and store the suit open as stated in the manual. I also have 4 dive buddies that dive bare and their zippers are fraying the same way. My current suit has about 30 dives on it and it is already showing signs of fraying. I have seen other brand suits and their zippers do not fray like this, so is this just a Bare Drysuit flaw?? I bought Bare because I was working at a dive shop and was able to get them at a discount for myself and some of the guys I dive with, but after seeing the zippers fray like this I would not recommend or buy bare again. Can anyone tell me if DUI suits have this same problem?? I will be looking to replace my bare soon. Just for the record these suits also have relife zippers (which also fray) so we are not opening and closing the back zippers alot I have also tried burning off the fray but that doesn't stop it from fraying so before long your at the zipper teeth. I have even tried sealing the side of fraying zipper with a fingernail hardender but that was no help.

My Bare front zip with about 120 dives is getting all frayed :(
I fear its going to be replaced soon -- I plan to send it in early December when I am on a warm water trip so they can do it then, I just hope it last till then (I am a dive junky)

I have always been very careful with cleaning and maintanence.

My dive buddies in some models of Bare suits have the fray problem .. others with older Bare suits do not ... did something change in the last couple years with their zippers?

What models of Bare suits are you guys having problems with? I just got a Bare XCD2 tech and would be interested to know.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom