Drysuit Zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoonfish

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I am a relatively new diver and have recently purchase a DUI dry suit.
I purchase it used at a o.k. price??? I guess! on ebay.
As it turns out the zipper needs to be replaced. Not real happy about that, but hey the suit fits well.
I would like to find out where I can purchase a dry suit zipper. I googled it, not very obvious.
Can anyone tell me where I can order one, at a reasonable price?
I know there's YKK, but am not sure they deal directly with the public.

Thanks

Found this site in the UK , The New Zipper Company, makers of BDM Zippers .. The New Zipper Company Ltd
Amron International makes drysuit zippers ... Amron Drysuit Zippers, Patches and Adhesives - Amron International
DUI sells their zipper .. Waterproof Zipper (up to 42") $240

I just had DUI put in a new zipper on my just purchased, but very much used, Flex 50/50 .. $305, plus a new neck zip seal, $138 and suit testing $60 .. plus seam repair/reinforcments and a new upgraded exhaust valve .. for FREE :)
Even with those repairs , the suit still was a bargain

Last edited:
Almost all drysuit zippers are made by one YKK company of another - Dynat and BDM (New Zipper Co.) and a couple of others. YKK makes three qualities, light duty, which is hardly ever used in drysuits, medium, which is what most of them use (and most suit manufacturers call heavy duty), and heavy duty. It doesn't matter what name is on them since they are all equal though only BDM makes the real heavy duty, riveted zipper (which is too stiff for many applications).
YKK told us at DEMA that they will sell direct, and have been trying to streamline the system to make it easier, so it would be worth giving them a try especially if you have a biz name to order under. The suit manufactureres usually want an arm and a leg for them, so if YKK can't help you'll usually get the best price from a repair shop like Gamble. Bob3 who is on this forum also can usually come up with a good price on them.

Superior Diving Repair Inc does dry suit repair.

Superior Diving Repair

Last time I checked a zipper will cost you $150 or so, and replacing a zipper is pretty much major surgery on a dry suit, so for the extra $100-150 for labor I'd send it out to be fixed.

In the event you really want to do it yourself, Superior Diving Repair will sell you a YKK zipper in standard, heavy duty or long self entry standard duty styles.

If you need to replace the zipper, take a real close look at your seals and decide if they shouldnt be replaced as well. I sent my DUI (bought used like you), to Gamble Scuba in Florida. Seals and zip replaced for less than $400.

Superior Diving Repair Inc does dry suit repair.
Certainly, it is your call as to whether to do it yourself, or have a drysuit repair facility do the work. DA Aquamaster has mentioned Superior (I have had work done on my drysuit by them before (neck and wrist seals), albeit not a zipper replacement, and they are excellent.) In Canada, you might also try Custom Diving Service, in Ontario (Custom Diving Services).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom