Drysuit zipper leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CldWaterDvr

Reaction score
So my drysuit has started to leak at the zipper. DUI CF200 that’s almost 6 years old.
Looks like the zipper rubber is falling apart at sealing side next to the small teeth.
Is this normal after 300 or so dives?
Pricing the zipper, and new seals was almost the cost of a new suit.
So I bought a new DUI TLS. I'm liking the shell type suit, but would like to fix the other for a backup suit.
I was going to try to replace the zipper myself. Looks like it’s just glued in place. I was thinking about cutting the old zipper out, and gluing the new zipper on top of the old,
or is it better to remove the entire old zipper? The old zipper looks like it’s really glued in good. Does anyone have any pointers for this? Any recommendations on glues that I should be using? Should I just ship it out for repairs?

Thanks

zipper1.jpg

zipper%202.jpg

zippper%203.jpg

Send it out to these guys.
I have heard nothing but good things about them and will be sending in my backup suit in the next few weeks for repairs.

I second the Superior Diving repair recommendation.

Last time I sent them a suit for a zipper replacement it was only $235.00.

Replacing a zipper on a neoprene suit yourself is possible as it is just more or less gluing the new one in, but on a trilam it is a lot more complicated than that and is not a good choice for a DIY repair. On a CF 200, I'd still spend the money to have them do it rather than risk screwing up a otherwise good suit.

I'd also have them replace the neck seal as that can also be somewhat difficult without the right tools for the job and while you are at it, you just as well have them do the wrist seals as well. Latex wrist seals are easy to replace, but neoprene seals are a lot more difficult.

DA Aquamaster:
I second the Superior Diving repair recommendation.

I just got my suit back from "Superior" this afternoon. the UPS truck brought it.. I had them replace the wrist seals (see my question in another thread) add suspenders and find and fix a leak.

My only complaint about them is that _everyone_ keeps recommending them and he has a long turnaround because of all the work people keep sending him.

As for doing the work yourself. I know some one who does this and says he does not save money. The equipment solvents and glue is not cheap and there is a minium size. The only advantage to learning how to do this is that you get instant turnaround and you might just like to know that you can fix your own stuff. ut some skill is required and you use up some materials practicing. Less cost and hassel to send it out.

Yup, that zipper is done! Should shouldn't have to pay more than $300 to get it fixed. I replace my own seals which isn't really that hard.

ChrisA:
My only complaint about them is that _everyone_ keeps recommending them and he has a long turnaround because of all the work people keep sending him.
Turn around time depends on the time of the year. Spring and summer are busy times as people start thinking about diving and send wet suits and drysuits in for repair or alteration and the backlog gets long. It's a lot faster in the fall and winter where it may take only be a few weeks between the times the suit goes on and off the UPS truck.

When I e-mailed Mark regarding my drysuit, he quoted a turn around time of 2-3 weeks. Since this is for a back up suit, I doubt that it matters how long it would take to get it back. Of course you could always pay the extra for rush sevice.

Any idea of what causes the zipper to fail like this? I keep it clean, and waxed.
The only place that it’s worn is at one end of the zipper, and both sides of the zipper are worn the same. This looks like the rubber, and whatever other material in the zipper are coming unbounded from each other.
I don’t want my new drysuit zipper doing the same thing. I guess I might be expecting too much I do have a ton of dive on it. How long should a zipper last?

Not to hijack the thread, but how does one properly clean a drysuit zipper?

Tanks

Jim

Back
Top Bottom