Drysuit vs. Survival Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W3tWilly

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to identify if I bought a drysuit or a survival suit.

Its a DUI TLS and the Manufacture date is Nov 07, 1995. I am working with DUI to get this identified but thought this might be faster.

Sorry don't have a camera to take pictures.

It has no inflater valve or opening for an inflater valve.
It has an exhaust valve, latex seals, neck warmer, its a front entry, relief zipper, zipper protectors, kevlar fabric protecting common wear areas, Telescoping torso, suspenders, crotch strap, and attached turbo sole boots.
Its all black no other colors.

Any help would be appreciated.

That is an interesting concept.

I imagine that it wouldn't be too extremely difficult to add an inflator hose valve.

the K

I jumped in the water wearing it earlier today, and there were no leaks. Now I only surface tested it as I can not dive in it with out an inflater valve, or I guess I should say comfortably.

Anyone know if there is any reason why you couldn't convert a survival suit(with the above mentioned features) to a diving drysuit?

Survival suits are usually made from thermally insulating material like 7mm and all the ones I see are red/orange for visibility. They are also have a generous cut to allow a dressed boater to don it quickly while dressed.

Being DUI & TLS it sounds like it may be for other water sports such as Kayaking. Such dry suits are frequently seen on eBay & Craigslist.

Pete

It's not a thermal insulating suit it's a trilam suit.

From my google'ing kayaking suits don't seem to have exhaust valves, but I was just looking at images of them.

To add to the mystery the serial number on my suit doesn't match DUI's records for date and suit type, but the original serial number had a number wrote over the top of it with a permanent marker(which I can only assume is the serial number but maybe not).

Oh well, I am a poor college kid. I will have some dive shop punch a hole in it, glue a valve in, and call it a drysuit. Whats the worst that could happen? I guess watch the accident's forum for updates.

Oh well, I am a poor college kid. I will have some dive shop punch a hole in it, glue a valve in, and call it a drysuit.

You might get wet. But heck it's almost June so what the heck. Of course you profile gives us no idea where you are.... hint.

Actually the valves usually are secured with a nut and gaskets. Before cutting the hole I would coat the material with something like Aquaseal thinned 50% with Cotol for about 1/2 inch bigger than the hole you will cut. This will give a little reinforcement and prevent any fraying.

Have fun with the suit!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom